How Long Does Juvederm Last?

I've been researching how long Juvederm lasts, but what people say in Juvederm reviews and what the FDA says don't really match up.  Can someone tell me, how long does Juvederm last? Does where you have the Juvederm injections in your face make a difference in how long it lasts?

Juvederm longevity dictated by where it is placed.

+12

Good question, but the answer can be very technical. The value or longevity of a Hyaluronic Acid filler (HA) is determined by the amount of cross-linking of the gel molecules. The body is very effective at removing things that do not belong. The beauty of HA is that it is also produced in the body so that it can stay because it is not a completely foreign object. Collagen that used to be injected was from cow hide so that it was rapidly identified and then broken down by the body. It also required a test to determine if you had an allergy.

HA is not broken down by this pathway, it is broken down other ways. The more solidly (or crosslinked) a HA product is the longer it will last. The absolute amount of HA in a syringe does not translate into more product remaining in an injected area. ONLY the crosslinked amount of HA in the syringe will actually remain. The non-crosslinked product will be disolved in a few days. The non-crosslinked HA is smoother and allows for easier injection and some controllability in some hands but will NOT contribute to longevity.

Restylane is a higher concentration of cross-linked molecules of HA than Juvederm. So Restylane is stiffer, requires more skill to inject correctly, more skill to place correctly and will last longer. In some areas these are desirable consequences like the nasolabial folds. Juvederm is softer and easier to inject and feels different so it is better in the lips but it will go away faster.

Juvederm in lips? 4- 6 months?
Restylane in lips? 5-6 months?
in face? can last over a year - both products
Nasolabial folds? 6 months and up depending on injector.

Leesburg Plastic Surgeon

How long Juvederm will last depends on treated area, injector skill, patient factors

+4

It is very hard to come up with a generic answer for how long Juvederm lasts because many factors affect the duration of response. A skillful injector will inject Juvederm in the correct layer and use the correct amount to give you the result you desire.

If all those criteria have been met, then Juvederm can last an average of 6 months in the lips and nasolabial folds and upto a year in the tear troughs under the eyes. However, I have had patients who I have injected Juvederm in their lips (same doctor, same patient, same lip :), and I have gotten variable response times.

Sometimes it can last for 6 months and sometimes 8-10 months. So, in short, it depends on a lot of factors, but on average 6 months to one year is the correct answer.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Juvederm lasts longer than Restylane in most areas

+3

I have had many years of experience with all of the different fillers. When comparing Juvederm and Restylane - Juvederm lasts much longer in most parts of the face. In the lips, neither lasts very long.

Keep in mind that results vary from patient to patient, but usually I see:

Juvederm - 6-10 months

Restylane - 5-7 months

Both last 3-5 months in the lips

Robert M. Freund, MD

Juvederm longevity

+2

Every patient is different. I find it lasts 8 months to a year in most of my patients.I find it is best not to totally let it go away but to come for your next treatment before it is totally gone. This way the results get better and better the longer you use it.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

How long does Juvederm last.

+2

Juvederm breaks down hyaluronic acid, a sugar that is naturally found in the skin, at different rates. This leads to a variable length of longevity.  Generally, the product lasts four to six months for lips, nine to twelve months for the lines around the mouth and around 12 months for the cheeks.

Miriam Hanson, MD
Austin Dermatologist

Juvederm longevity

+2

Juvederm can last varying amounts of time depending what areas of the face are injected. I find that if it is injected in areas where is lots of muscular movement it tends not to last as long, such as areas around the mouth. I tell patients that it will slowy go away over time and all of the Juvederm may not be gone for months, but the volume effect will diminish as the months go away. All that being said, it is much better than collagen, which did not last long at all and was not as good as Juvederm for adding volume.

Ben J. Tittle, MD

Juvederm - how long it lasts

+2

The reason you can't get a straight answer is because filler longevity really varies from person to person.In general - in the lip area it lasts 4-6 mo.  In less dynamic areas is lasts longer.I've also noticed in patients who have gotten repeat injections, that the results of each injection seem to last a little longer than the last.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Juvederm lasts for 4-6 months, maybe more; area injected matters some.

+2

When Juvederm (or Restylane) is injected into an area of active muscular contraction (for example, frown lines that have not been Botox or Dysport-treated), the filler can be mechanically moved away from the precise area of injection by the continued action of the muscle. That is why patients who have frown lines that are not paralyzed (Botox or Dysport) but are treated ONLY with a filler (Juvederm or Restylane) will sometimes complain that their "Juvederm didn't last as long as you said it would."

I have also had patients who (initially) followed my recommendation for Botox and Juvederm (for deep frown lines that do not completely resolve with Botox alone) do very nicely, and then return 6 months later for re-treatment and decide to not use the Botox, just Restylane, hoping to "save money." The Restylane is moved and massaged out of position by the action of the (non-paralyzed) frown muscles, and the patient then believes that "Restylane doesn't last as long as Juvederm."

The higher the muscular activity, the more quickly the filler "goes away!"

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm lasts up to 6 months

+2

It depends on where it is injected but typically Juvederm Ultra lasts 4-5 months and if you use it regularly, you may notice that it lasts up to 6 months. I have not seen it last up to one year.

Kavita Mariwalla, MD
New Haven Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm lasts 6-12 months but can vary

+2

Very few people will have Juvaderm that lasts less than 6 months.  More commonly, it will last 12 months or more.  This is especially true if you do a "touch up" injection at the 3-6 month mark.  Repeated injections tend to last longer than prior injections as there may be some reactive collagen deposited with each injection.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon