Puffy Eyes After Juvederm Injections in Under Eye Hollows

I had Juvederm injected below my eyes to fill in hollows, and now I have pillows instead. It looks horrible. My doctor said that only surgery would fix this and he stated I should have had eyelid surgery all along. He suggested I initially try the injection because I cannot afford surgery right now.

Juvederm injection for hollow eyes can make puffy eyes and hollow eyes worse

+10

I agree that the skill of the doctor who injects Juvederm usually is most important for a good outcome.

However, I do not inject Juvederm, Radiesse, Restylane, Perlane Evolence, Sculptra or any filler to correct eye hollows for several reasons;

• Eyelid skin is so thin and delicate that fillers often show through as grey lumps
  • True hollow eyes require composite fat grafting for adequate correction-filler volume is not enough
  • Fillers are hard unlike fat and are unnatural consistency for correction of hollow eyes
  • The action of the eyelid muscle pushes the filler downward plumping the upper cheek and making the hollow eye look worse
  • Discoloration from bruising can be permanent as hemosiderin pigment is left behind
  • It is dangerous to "blindly" inject with a needle around the eye-blindness has occurred with filler injection around the eye

In time with massage the filler will dissolve. Don't use Hyaluroinidase around the eye.

Under-eye filler can be puffy for a few days

+5

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid-based filler that is quite soft and well-tolerated in many clinical situations. One consideration in the setting of puffiness after injection is that this type of filler is hydrophillic, meaning it attracts water. For a few days, this can be seen as swelling or puffiness, which generally resolves. Some patients see some benefit by using warm compresses to help the fluid subside. If your swelling is within the first few days after having a filler injection, this may improve spontaneously.

Hyaluronidase is an injectable substance that can dissolve filler in the case that there are lumps or bumps caused by the filler itself, not filler-related swelling. Rarely is a hyaluronidase injection necessary when fillers are placed correctly.

Fillers under the eyes can supplant surgical options in many cases. We now understand that the appearance of under eye bags can be areas of fat that are accentuated by hollowing below. By filling the grooves under the eyelids, surgery may not be required in some cases. In fact, in some cases, removing fat can create an aged or even more hollow appearance to the eyelids! Current techniques may involve fillers alone, a combination of surgery and fillers, or using native fat to restore volume.

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
Rochester Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling versus too much filler

+4

When did you have the injections? You may be swollen for several days after the injections, and bruising may also cause some swelling. If there was too much filler injected causing the "pillows" the best treatment is hyaluronidase. Hyaluronidase is injected into an area with too much filler and it dissolves the filler away completely.

Also, the fat pad that is under the eye can itself puff out with time and look like a little pillow. If you then have filler placed in the groove below the eye (and below that fat pad) it may look like the pillow is larger because the groove is now gone. If the fat pad is your problem than only surgery will fix it. But if the pillow is from the filler than you need hyaluronidase.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Good news: Excess Juvederm can be removed

+3

It sounds like you now have 2 problems: your original hollows and a new deformity caused either by too much Juvederm or by incorrectly injected Juvederm.

I think you need to deal with the Juvederm first. There is a medication called Hyaluronidase injections and these can dissolve the Juvederm. This excess Juvederm cannot be removed with surgery.

Once you are back to your original hollows, you can save your money for corrective surgery. I should also tell you that surgery to correct lower lid hollows is difficult and has inconsistent results. So get more than one opinion and ask to see lots of before and after pictures.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Juvederm swelling under the eyes

+2

One of 3  things will cause this effect: 1. The product was injected in the wrong plane or level of the skin  2. Juvederm can cause this type of swelling under the eyes even when placed deeper in the correct plane of the tissue by experienced injectors or 3 too much volume was used for the correction.  Either way it is amazingly simple to resolve with hyaluronidase injection ("the antidote" as some call it).  If your doctor doesnt offer it, go get it from someone who does. Then decide about another filler in the area or surgery. Dont fret, there is an easy solution to your problem.

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

Tear Trough Treatments

+2

Performing "tear trough" treatments to the hollow areas under the eyes requires meticulous technique and can be a very satisfying treatment when done correctly. What you are describing sounds as if the injector placed the product above the muscle rather than below it. This will usually result in the look that you are describing. When done correctly, tear trough treatments should provide improvement rather than rendering a worse outcome.

When we determine someone is not a good candidate (too much skin laxity, profound fat pads, too thin of skin) we discourage this procedure. However, the majority of our patients benefit from this procedure and are pleased that this may be a good option to surgical intervention for many.

As the other panel members suggested, if the "puffiness" is clearly not post-treatment swelling, hyaluronidase will be able to dissolve the product.

On a sidenote, we do not use Juvederm for these treatments and prefer Restylane.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Juviderm for Eyelid Hollows

+2

Hi Anon,

Sorry for your bad experience and puffy eyelids after Juviderm. What we usually say is that it's not the "filler", it's the person putting the filler in. You may have had too much lower lid fullness from fat for the Juviderm to be effective, but in that case it should not be used. The use of fillers and even Botox are medical procedures that should be performed by cosmetically trained board certified physicians in a cosmetic field (plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, ENT, dermatology, oculoplastic surgery).

At this point if massage and tincture of time do not improve your puffiness, you may consider hyaluronidase injections to diminish the Juviderm. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Hyaluronidase is the best way to reduce juvederm ridges

+2

Injections under the eyes can and often do result in bumps or ridges. Hyaluronidase is the solution we inject to dissolve juvederm. it often takes a few sessions of injections given at 1 week apart ($150/session).

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Choosing the right product is key

+1
Juvederm is a wonderful product but not for hollowness under the eyes. I like to use Restylane or even Belotero if the skin is really thin.  The product needs to be injected deep rather than shallow which can cause a puffiness effect. If injected correctly, filler under the eyes can make a huge improvement.

David Stoker, MD

Yes, it can injection technique is very important

+1
The eye area is one of the trickiest areas to inject, and making eyes puffy is a frequent mistake. This can be corrected with a reversal agent known as Hylase. 

The trick to making eyes look good is to correct the defect by 40-50% and NOT fillout the hollows, using filler to buffer the bag and cheeks, plus a tiny tiny bit (0.1-0.2 ml) of a filler such as Volbella is the trick. 

I like to massage the area to dissipate the filler, and most injectors should know NEVER to inject into the fat pads. 

This area is also filled with blood vessels, so the filler needs to be laid on bone or v v superficially. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
Gold Coast and Brisbane
Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist