How to Avoid the Tyndall Effect?

Just want to be sure I understand, can the Tyndall effect be avoided by injecting under the muscle, in the tear trough area?

I had this done four days ago and I see a very slight bruising, but I think it is because the restylane is still concentrated in a raised area that is shadowing in a manner resembling slight bruising. I hope that when the swelling goes all the way down, the bruising look will go away too.

Tyndall Effect Comes about from Superficial Restylane Injections

+2

The tyndall effect comes about when Hyaluronic Acids (Restylane, Juvederm, Elevess) are placed too superficially (close to the skin's surface). The deeper these fillers are placed the less likely to have this blue-ish tint.

It is too early to tell if this has occurred for you, as you still have some swelling from the injection. If you have any questions, you should speak with the cosmetic surgeon who performed the injection, as they will be able to help alleviate your worries.

As an Ocular Plastic Surgeon, at Accents Medical Spa, I perform this specialized injection for many patients fill the tear trough (area below the lower eyelid and above the cheek). It is important for all clients to know that it can take a few days before results from these injections are noted, as it can be hidden by swelling from the injection itself.

Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Is Fur and Looking Like a Cute Kitten a Side Effect of Injectables?

+2

Hi Wiser and Better,

The Tyndall effect is avoided by injecting hyaluronic acid fillers below the muscle when filling a lower eye lid hollow.

I, too, hope that when your swelling goes down, the "bruised" look goes away. Good luck and be well.

By the way, have you looked in your mirror lately, your picture looks feline, I haven't heard of that side effect yet.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Tyndall Effect for Tear Troughs

+1

Injecting under the muscle in the tear trough area of the eye should avoid the possibility of the Tyndall effect. If the "under the muscle" technique was used by your injector and you are still seeing bruising, you can either wait several weeks to see if it resolves or seek out a physician with a pulsed dye laser to resolve the bruising more quickly.

Feel free to ask your injector about the Tyndall effect and if that is what's happening with your procedure. More than likely, he/she will want you to wait a couple weeks to see if the bruising resolves.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Restylane and Tyndall effect

+1

Any filler including Restylane can cause the Tyndall effect if injected too superficially. This risk is highest in the tear trough area under the eyes. If the blue colour of the Tyndall effect is noted, your physician can sometimes pierce it with a small needle and express the excess filler to resolve the blue color.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

White plus clear equals blue?

+1

Have you ever noticed that in a swimming pool with white plaster and clear water, the water still looks blue? That is the Tyndall effect. Because Restylane is composed of a clear material, when light passes through it, it can cast a bluish appearance. If the Restylane is placed near the surface of the skin (especially thin eyelid skin), this can happen. If it is deep beneath thick skin or even under muscle, it won't be visible. So, if your Restylane was placed deep enough, then what you're seeing is likely a bruise.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon