How Long Do Fat Grafting Results Last?

I am trying to determine whether micro fat grafting is a better option for cheek augmentation than implants. I was researching it today and saw that some final results look great, better than any of the cheek augmentation photos I've seen. But I'm still apprehensive about taking this route. How long do micro fat grafting results usually last?

Fat Grafting Longevity- Why and How

The longevity of fat transfer will depend on 3 main factors that basically b:

1) Technique- Fat grafting is a technique sensitive procedure, meaning that fat survival will vary from surgeon to surgeon depending on how they perform this. Technique boils down to: 1) How the fat is removed / harvested 2) How the fat is processed / distilled and 3) How the fat is injected. 

2) Where the fat is injected. Fat is very reliable in some areas while not being as reliable in others. The reason being is that fat is a live tissue graft. Once the fat is injected it needs to grow a new blood supply and get nourishment from the body. If this process occurs, then the fat will take permanently.  Areas of the face that move more, such as the lips, have lower reliability and take of fat. This is because that area is constantly mobile and the fat will have more shearing forces that prevent it from obtaining the new supply.  On the other hand, fat in the cheeks and temples has a much higher rate of take because it is much more of a static area.

Bottom line is that facial fat grafting is very technique sensitive and it is very important to choose a surgeon with experience and first hand knowledge of the procedure. Always ask to see photos, especially of patients over a year out of the procedure.  This will help you understand your surgeon's experience and results.

See the link below for more explanation and a patient that is over a year after fat grafting to her face.

Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

1001 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, FL 33432

How long do fat grafting results last?

In answer to your questions
1. "How long do fat grafting results last?" - If the fat survives the transfer it is like every other living tissue in the body. It lives almost as long as you do EXCEPT that if you lose weight they deflate and if you gain weight, it will fill up.

2. "trying to determine whether micro fat grafting is a better option for cheek augmentation than implants" - If the fat lives, it is a far better option because it does not share the potential complications of implants : immediate or late infection, movement, encapsulation, distortion and extrusion.

I hope this was helpful.

Peter a Aldea, MD, FACS

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119

With proper injection technique, fat grafting can be permanent

Results can vary, depending upon several factors such as what area is being grafted and how it is placed. Fat grafting is a highly skilled procedure, requiring a surgeon with experience and knowledge to perform it successfully. The survival of the fat will depend upon those skills and will be the result of how the fat was harvested, how it was purified, and how and where it was injected. Specifically, a process called ‘micro fat grafting’, though labor intensive, is the best way to ensure that the highest percentage of grafted fat will take.

When done successfully, the injected fat grows a new blood supply and begins to receive the nourishment it needs to survive from your body. When this happens, results can and often are permanent. However there can be a percentage of fat that does not take and this is why touch-ups are sometimes necessary. It is important to discuss options in advance to determine the best course of action for your situation.

Scott W. Mosser, MD

450 Sutter St.
San Francisco, CA 94108

Fat grafting can give very good long term results

Patients often ask how long fat grafts last. While very surgical technique dependent very long term results are certainly possible. Once the grafts take hold and "blossom" over the first 12-18 months the results should be evident for many years. Not even the fat that is naturally in your face lasts a lifetime -- we all lose it slowly over years. However, by refilling the volume loss with fat grafts you should always see an improvement compared with if you didn't have the procedure.

I find that for most people fat grafting provides a more natural result than cheek implantation. 

• Fat grafting allows for more intricate customization of which portions of the cheek to augment (and how much).
  • Fat grafting isn't limited anatomically by the infraorbital nerve (a sensory nerve that exits the bone just below your eye). A cheek implant can't be placed above this nerve limiting how high one can provide augmentation.
  • With a cheek implant, as the soft tissues of the cheek continue to lose bulk/fat with time the implant can become even less natural appearing.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104

Facial fat grafting can last for years

With proper fat harvest and grafting techniques, fat injection to the mid-face and cheeks can result in volumization that can last for years. Regions of the face with motion (lips, nasal-labial folds etc) tend to not hold on to fat as long as the mid-face and cheek regions of the face. These regions are more static.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

4915 25 th Ave NE
Seattle, WA 98105

Fat grafting longevity

The length of time that fat grafts last has quite a bit of variability between both the surgeon and the patient. Newer techniques using microagumentation and smaller size injections seems to help promote better fat survival. It tends to last the longest in the cheek areas and midface and less long in the nasolabial or smile regions. The temple areas are variable and the eyelid regions seem to persist. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

1361 13th Ave South
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250

How Long Do Fat Grafting Results Last?

The decision for fat grafting vs implants of the face depends significantly, I believe, on the shape of the boney structure supporting the overlying soft tissues.  If the boney support is very poor (for example, very flat or depressed cheek bones), then a cheek implant will provide the necessary foundation to support the overlying soft tissues.  If the boney support appears adequate, but the soft tissues are insufficient (as in the case of fat atrophy from aging or disease), then fat grafting is a very good solution to soft tissue restoration or augmentation.  If the fat grafting is performed skillfully and with gentle fat harvesting and fat injecting technique, then a high rate of permanent "take" can be expected throughout most of the face.  The exception are the lips, which tend to have a lower take of fat grafts.

Paul Fortes, MD

12727 Kimberley Ln.
Houston, TX 77024

Longevity of fat grafting results

Hello.  Thank you for your question.  The results from fat grafting to the midface is variable from one patient to another.  There are multiple factors that can affect the survival of the grafted fat, including harvest technique, injection technique, site of injection, blood supply to injection site, and patient factors that are unrelated to technique.  There is always some resorption of the grafted fat that can be expected, which is variable from one patient to another.  The grafted fat that survives and acquires adequate blood supply can provide cosmetic benefit for years.   Fat injected into vary mobile areas, such as the lips, does not survive as well as fat injected into less mobile areas, such as the cheeks.  Rarely, additional fat grafting may be required to achieve optimal results.  Fat grafting to the midface can provide excellent, very natural appearing results, when properly performed.  However, it is not permanent.  The fat will tend to atrophy with age.  Facial implants, on the other hand, are permanent, but can be associated with additional risks such as infection, displacement, or extrusion.  I would suggest that you seek consultation with a board certified surgeon with extensive experience and expertise in facial rejuvenation and fat grafting to assess your individual anatomy, concerns, and goals and determine the best treatment plan for you.  I hope this information is helpful.

Michael Boggess, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

213 Overlook Circle
Brentwood, TN 37027

Natural fullness with fat grafts

Fat grafts give a natural fullness to the face and cheeks that implants cannot. The grafts are soft and feel like your own tissue. You should notice increased volume life long and a younger look to the skin.

Christine A. Carman Stiles, MD

5575 Warren Parkway
Frisco, TX 75034