Fat Transfer in Temples for Lifting Upper Eyelids?

My main issues are tear trough hollowness, moderate upper eyelid hooding, moderate jowling, and lower cheek hollowness (I have very high cheekbones). I have lost a lot of volume in my temples and at the same time have developed some upper eyelid hooding. I got to thinking that increasing volume in temple area through fat transfer might actually work somewhat as a lateral browlift, thereby raising upper eyelids a little. What do the doctors here think about this theory? Could this concept also work on the jowls, with fat transfer to the cheeks for raising the jowls a little?

Volume replacement will make you look younger

+3

Volume replacement / augmentation has become a significant component in the minimally-invasive technique of facial rejuvenation. Temple augmentation, whether with your own fat or a filler such as Radiesse, or hyaluronic acid, such as Perlane or Juvederm Ultra Plus can make one look younger.

It does not create much of a lift to the outer eyebrow, but direct injection underneath the outer eyebrow does produce a slight lift of the upper eyelid, which can improve the hooding. The amount of improvement varies from patient to patient.

Mid cheek fat augmentation, or filling with other products, such as Radiesse, or collagen stimulation with Sculptra, can help improve the smile folds by supporting the mid cheek.

Once the cheek is better supported, there is a decrease in its tendency to fall onto the smile fold, thereby making the fold appear less deep. It does help lift the jowl to a slight extent, but the thicker-skinned jowls that have more fat lift less than the thin-skinned jowls that have minimal subcutaneous fat.

Filler can be used, though, between the jowl and the chin (the prejowl sulcus) to make the jawline more straight.

Fat Transfer to Temples Will Not Lift Eyelids

+2

Thank you for your question. Fat Transfer or Filler Injections to the Temple area will improve aging changes of Fat loss in this area. However, this technique will have no effect of raising or improving the eyelids. Blepharoplasty is the proper technique for eyelid rejuvenation.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Fat Transfer to the Temples

+2

Fat transfer to the temples are a great way to correct atrophy induced depression that contributes to an aged appearance. The upper eyelid hooding and lateral ptosis (drooping) is not related to the temple atrophy and are separate components of the aging process. In my opinion, increasing the volume of the temple area through fat transfer will not raise the lateral brow nor will it effect the upper eyelids.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Fat Grafting to Lift the Brows

+2
I perform quite a lot of fat grafting and often incorporate fat grafting to full facial rejuvenation procedures. But fat grafting alone is not a solution to every concern. It is difficult to make an accurate evaluation without seeing you in person, but I believe the concerns you are describing would likely not be corrected with fat transfer exclusively.
In some cases, a modest brow elevation can be an added bonus of fat grafting to the upper eyelids to correct hollow lids. But for most patients seeling elevation to the brow a lateral browlift would be a better option.
Fat grafting to the jawline can provide a slight reduction in very minimal jowls but fat grafting alone is not a replacement for a surgical procedure to remove excess skin. of the jawline.
A board certified plastic surgeon can help you with a plan to help you achieve your aesthetic goals.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer in temples to replace upper lid surgery

+1

IMHO, this simply will not work.  fat transfer to the temples is an exceeding good way to treat the hollowness in the temples that occur in some individuals with age.  It seems like an exceedingly ineffective way to perform lateral browlift to treat upper lid redundancy.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting For Lateral Brow Elevation

+1

Fat grafting to the lateral brow area can effectively mildly to moderately elevate the lateral eyebrows and help diminish lateral upper eyelid hooding.  The fat grafting to the temples that you ask about is really to treat the hollowing in the temples that often accompanies advancing age or weight loss.  A secondary effect can be to give volume lateral brow area, but the distance from the temples to the lateral brow make its affect secondary.

Fat transfer beautifully adds volume to the cheeks imparting a more youthful shape to the face, as many patients when given the choice of putting on weight or exhibiting a bit of gauntness in the face, pick the desirable figure almost every time.  A nice way to see how volume across your lateral brow will affect your forehead and lateral upper eyelids is to have your doctor inject some saline into the area.  You will see a temporary effect that simulates the volume of fat transfer.  I think you will like it.

Good luck.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Fat transfer to the periorbital region

+1

It is possible to perform a fat transfer to orbital region for periorbital rejuvenation. Keep in mind that in this area just a little goes a very long way. This area is very sensitive and a small volume of fat added to this area can create a wonderful effect or a significant problem. For this reason, it is essential that you work with a board-certified plastic surgeon was a great deal of experience with fat transfer, blepharoplasty, and facelift. The specialist will_have a deep understanding of your facial tissues and how to create the most natural result. This surgery requires a transfer fat in tiny droplets along the borders of your orbit and into tear trough region.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Fat injection for brow lift

+1

Fat injections in the temples and lateral brow area can give a degree of lifting which may be enough for younger patients.  For patients with a more significant amount of brow droop surgery (brow lift) is a better option.

Sam Naficy, MD

Fat injections and surgeries

+1

The concerns that you have can be treated in many different ways. Surgery can address some issues that you have and fat injections and other modalities may help with the others. A little of both  may be yoru solution.

Viafill

+1

Fat is great!

As the inventor of the Viafill system, I often inject fat into the Temples, tear troughs, cheeks, lips and nasolabial folds. The sytem allows for a smooth result. It is designed to provide more live cells for injection so that the resut will be more durable.

Robert M. Freund, MD