How Long Before Botox Completely Wears Off?

How long does it take for Botox to completely wear off? I had Botox injected almost 5 months ago, and I can tell that it is still not out of my face yet. I do not like the results, I had been getting the injections for about a year and a half, and now I just want it gone.

Unlikely for 5-month-old Botox to have any effect

+2

It's unlikely that Botox injected 5 months ago is still having any effect. Botox results typically last about 3-4 months with slightly longer durations capable in situations where the patient is consistently using the product.

If it looks or feels like the Botox is still active, it may be because muscles that are relaxed with repeated Botox usage can weaken. This in turn means you need less Botox for the same effects or can go slightly longer between treatments.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/botoxba.aspx

Botox effects vary in their longevity.

+2

Dear nndoll

Theoretically, all of the neuromuscular junctions blocked by Botox are replaced by 4 months. However, so of the effect that we see clinically is due to muscle atrophy and some of the effect is due to muscle retraiining. As a result, even though Botox is theoretically no longer present, you still are seeing the effects of treatment, However, there effects will eventually also resolve. I have patients who tell me at three months they need retreatment and others who feel that they have Botox results for a year. We do not send out reminder cards for Botox. I let the mirror do the talking. People return when the notice the effects wear off and this time frame is a little different for everyone.

It usually wears off in 4 months or less, but sometimes can last slightly longer

+2

Thanks for your question.

In almost all cases, Botox wears off in 3-4 months. I have rarely heard and seen cases of Botox lasting longer, but that is easily the exception and NOT the rule. In your case, I would just be a little more patient and I would feel fairly comfortable in saying that by month 6, all of it should be gone. Botox works by chemically denerving the muscle-nerve junctions, so working out these muscles won't speed things up. However, Botox is never permanent and your muscles should return perfectly to their previous state without worry.

Good luck!

Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Botox wears off in 4 months.

+2

To nndoll,

Hi!  In the neck, it lasts even less.  So I am assuming that whatever you don't like is not because of Botox.

I suggest you go to a board certified plastic surgeon and have her or him evaluate you.

Botox gone before 5 months

+2

Your question is an interesting one. Unlike dermal fillers, which must stay around to maintain the effect, Botox is actually gone in a matter of days. What is does is disrupt the connection between the nerve and the muscle, causing the relaxation effect. It takes about 3-4 months for the body to re-establish the connection, so it is this recovery process and not the longevity of the Botox itself that determines the duration of action. If you are still seeing the effects at 5 months, I can't imagine it taking much longer.

Botox duration

+1

The duration of the effect of Botox depends on the individual, the area that was injected and the number of units injected.  Most individuals love the effects of Botox, but if you do not like your results, consider consulting a different dermatologist or plastic surgeon who can give you a natural-looking result.

Toronto Dermatologist

Botox and time it disappears

+1

Botox usually lasts for about 4 months.  I usually have patients come back at about the 3.5 month mark so that the effects do not completely disappear.  In some inidividuals it can last longer.

The duration can be variable depending on several factors

+1

There are several factors that determine how effective Botox is and how long it lasts.

1. Only about 80% of patients respond to Botox

2. Although most patients see the result within a week. In some patients the full effect is not observed until 1 month.

3. Older patients don't respond to Botox as well as younger patients.

4. In approximately 25% of patients, Botox is still effective after 4 months.

5. Women generally respond better to Botox than men.

6. Each individual will respond slightly differently to the effects of Botox.

7. In some areas of the face, Botox lasts longer than other areas.

8. Repeated use of Botox causes weakening and thinning of the muscle which can take some time to recover.

Most likely the effect of the Botox is no longer present at 5 months. But if you are still noticing some effect, it should disappear soon.

Furthermore, it may take a while for the muscle to regain its full strength.

Good luck.

Botox will wear off after 4 to 6 months

+1

The effects of Botox can last anywhere from four to six months. If you have been using it for an extended period, the effects will last longer. The botox itself usually stops working after about four months, but the wrinkles may take longer to return especially if you have used for a long time. It will wear off eventually.

Medford Plastic Surgeon

You are almost there!

+1

Botox is rated for up to 6 months, but there is some variability- ranging from 3 to about 7 or 8 months.  The good news is that you are at the end of the expected lifespan of the treatment, and so you can finally exhale.

sek