Botox After Blepharoplasty?

Is there a waiting period recommended for getting Botox after Blepharoplasty? I am only 3 weeks post op, but I'm anxious to get started.

No standards on Botox use after blepharoplasty

+3

First, it may depend on where you are getting the injection. For example, forehead and corrogators, likely no problem. If your eyelid function is completely normal, maybe ok.

I would just be very careful around the eyelids because they may be just compensating after surgery, and the Botox may cause them to not work well. Have your PS really evaluate your eyelid status.

sek

Botox after eyelid surgery: It depends.

+3

Use of Botox® is like many other procedures, many things go into a decision of when and how to use it properly. In your case, it depends on what was done at the time of the blepharoplasty and where you want to use it. You should not need it in the “crow’s feet” area, as the blepharoplasty should have taken care of this area. If you wish to lift the corner of the eye, or reduce the wrinkles between the eyebrows, and nothing was done in these areas, then you could, if performed carefully with knowledge of your procedure, have Botox® in these areas almost in conjunction with the procedure. In addition, there is no problem with using it at any time in any other area other than peri-ocular.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Botox after blepharoplasty

+2

Usually there is no reason not to do Botox after blepharoplasty.

However after lower blepharoplasty, particularly when the canthus has been tightened or a cheeklift has been performed, it is best to wait 3+ months. The reason for this is that some lower eyelid surgeries performed through the lower eyelid, or cheeklift procedures can weaken the lower fibers of the orbicularis muscle.

Botox could further weaken the orbicularis fibers, causing a lag in the lower eyelid and drooping.

It is best to talk to your surgeon to see if any of this applies to your procedure.

There should be no reason not to perform Botox injections in the frown muscles for any of these procedures.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Not strictly speaking

+2

Although there is no formal recommendations regarding Botox after blepharoplasty it's up to your surgeon.  Depending on what lids were operated on and how much work was done will determine when you can get Botox.

With that said I would recommend waiting 4-6 weeks after surgery. 

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

It's probably alright now

+2

Jen-Jen,

Three weeks after your blepharoplasty it is probably alright to proceed with Botox treatments. By now, most of the major swelling has subsided and your periocular muscles are probably regaining their activity anyway after being traumatized by the surgery. So, you will need to reinstitute your Botox soon. It may even serve to enhance or prolong the results of your blepharoplasty. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Botox can often be administered at the time of Blepharoplasty

+2

Dear Jen-Jen-67,

Many patients undergo Botox treatment while they are still under anesthesia in order to avoid feeling the injections.

There are many procedures that are all labeled Blepharoplasty. The timing and areas of your Botox treatment depend on the type of Blepharoplasty you received. With most Blepharoplasty techniques, Botox can be used immediately in the forehead, between the eyebrows, bunny lines on the nose, lips, and neck. Here is a partial list of Blepharoplasty techniques:

• Lower eyelid fat removal performed from inside the eyelid.
  • Lower eyelid fat and/or skin removal performed through an incision near the eyelashes.
  • Lower eyelid muscle tightening.
  • Lower eyelid fat repositioning.
  • Upper eyelid skin and/or fat removal.
  • Upper eyelid surgery in conjunction with softening of the frown muscles. Botox should not be used between the eyebrows.
  • Upper eyelid surgery in conjunction with elevation of the eyebrows. Botox should not be used in the forehead.

I know it sounds a little complicated, but a board-certified plastic surgeon should be able to provide the appropriate treatment for you.

Good luck with your surgery/procedure.

A. Peter Salas, MD

Wait 2 - 3 months

+2

I typically wait 2 - 3 months for a botox injection following eyelid surgery. This gives the tissues a chance to heal and will allow for a more predictable treatment with botox.   I would be concerned about the botox spreading too far in the early post operative period.  

You are good to go with Botox

+2

Dear Jen,

You have waited long enough for the BOTOX. Typically, with Microdroplet BOTOX, I find that most people can have BOTOX about a week after surgery. However, it really helps if your injector knows what they are doing.

However, we have found that BOTOX done at the time of surgery or even a few days prior to surgery, can be subjected to abnormal spreading of the BOTOX when it is done in the immediate surgical area. This can lead to some unpleasant surprises. So waiting like you have is very reasonable.

Wait 4-6 weeks for Botox after Blepharoplasty

+2

it depends on which area you are getting injected. In general, I would wait for 4-6 weeks until all the swelling and bruising is gone. Forehead injection could be injected sooner, but I would wait for the crow's feet.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Wait another week.

+2

To jen-jen-67,

Hi!   After a month, you should see 90% at least of the result of your blepharoplasty.  So I think it is OK to go ahead with Botox around the eyes at that point.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)