How Can I Reduce Areola Scars from Breast Augmentation?

Scars are Permanent

There is no way to remove scars (other than replacing them with other scars).

There are several treatments with scientific evidence that make small improvements in normal healing scars.

They include:

1. Scar massage

2. Silicone sheeting

3. Topicals like Mederma

Timing of the use of these treatments is important and using something like Mederma too early can cause wound healing problems.

Remember, it won't remove the scar but it will make them less noticeable.

For atypical scars (keloids and hyertrophic scars there are additional treatments like steroid injections which carry separate risks but may be of some benefit).

Steven Williams, MD

Top 4 tips to reduce areolar scars after breast implants

Scars will always fade with time. There are several steps after surgery to speed up the rate of improvement. Here are a list of 5 top tips for scar improvement:

• Massage scars until they soften
  • Apply silicone sheets (available in pharmacies)
  • Avoid direct sun exposure and use sunscreen
  • Apply lightening creams

If all else fails, talk to your plastic surgeon about revising the scar. That is a relatively simple and quick procedure.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

How to reduce areolar scars

The best way to reduce an areolar scar is not to make one in the first place! For any scar I make, I try to set the skin up to heal with minimal tension (by what sutures I use and how I place them) and  we have a very specific protocol we will all you through including silicone gel sheeting.  Your surgeon likely has a protocol they prefer and you should follow it and their advice.  

Improving areola scars

Surgical scars should heal well with a fine line scar if:

1) there is relatively little tension on the closure,

2) it is performed with good technique, and

3) there is no post op infection or other problems.  

To improve your scars they can be revised if they have matured.  When the revision is performed if there is likely to be tension on the closure a purse-string incision can be made and a permanent suture can be used to keep the tension off of the incision.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Areola Scars from Breast Augmentation

An areola incision is not my preferred incision for a breast augmentation because they can be more perceptible and they are inconsistent for healing. If you are considering an areola incision, several things should be noted. If you have large , distinct areolas then it may be easy to perform an incision around that area, but remember that the chance of nipple sensory loss is about 15% in this area versus 5-7% from an inframammary fold incision which can be hidden in the fold. Certainly, in patients of color I do not recommend areola incisions as they do not heal, in my experience, as well as other incisions such as inframammary fold incisions.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Fading Scars

• Scars will fade with time. Scars require 18 months to mature and get worse (at 6-9 months), before they get better (18 months).
  • Use scar therapy creams as recommended on the label. Scar therapy is most effective in the first 6 months after surgery.
  • Bleaching cream could be helpful if you are developing dark pigmentation
  • Avoid ANY tanning rays/ultra-violet for 6 months, after surgery
  • Laser treatments of scars may be a useful adjunct (ask your surgeon)

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Can't be done

Scars are permanent but do improve with time, massage, and sometimes IPL laser treatments.  Occasionally, a scar revision can be done to make them look less conspicuous but scar revision is not scar removal.

Scarring after surgery

With any surgery, there is always a trade off when you decide to go through a breast augmentation- you are left with a scar. There are multiple things that can help reduce the appearance of the scar. The first thing we recommend is silicone scar gel that is applied 2 weeks after your surgery, or once the incisions have healed. Any product that has silicone in the ingredients will help with your areola scars. We also strongly recommend that you get in the habit of applying sunscreen to the scars. UV rays can cause the scar to turn dark, especially for women with  fair skin. You may feel that your scars are slightly raised and/or "bumpy" after surgery. Doing a light massage on the scar will help flatten it over time.   Scar maturation can take up to a full year and sometimes longer, so its important that you start getting in the habit of scar care early to get the best outcome!

Reduction of breast augmentation scars

with any incision on the skin, there will always be a permanent scar. The scar is most visible the first year postop until the redness fades. Assuming it has healed well, the best thing is to avoid ultraviolet light on the scar such as tanning booths or sun. If a scar is raised or hypertrophic, scar massage or silicone sheeting may help. It is best that you discuss this with your plastic surgeon because he/she will have specific recommendations.

This information is for general education only and is not a substitute for a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

The scars around the areola after breast augmentation typically heal very nicely. It takes a full year for a scar to mature fully. Some treatments can help that process occur more quickly include silicone sheets/gel, daily scar massage, or the use of paper tape applied over the scar.

It's best to ask your surgeon about formal recommendations because they will have specific techniques that they prefer. Also important to make sure that your incisions have fully healed before starting any scar therapy.

Austin Hayes, MD