How Can I Reduce Areola Scars from Breast Augmentation?

Scars are Permanent

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is no way to remove scars (other than replacing them with other scars).

There are several treatments with scientific evidence that make small improvements in normal healing scars.

They include:

1. Scar massage

2. Silicone sheeting

3. Topicals like Mederma

Timing of the use of these treatments is important and using something like Mederma too early can cause wound healing problems.

Remember, it won't remove the scar but it will make them less noticeable.

For atypical scars (keloids and hyertrophic scars there are additional treatments like steroid injections which carry separate risks but may be of some benefit).

Steven Williams, MD

Top 4 tips to reduce areolar scars after breast implants

Scars will always fade with time. There are several steps after surgery to speed up the rate of improvement. Here are a list of 5 top tips for scar improvement:

• Massage scars until they soften
  • Apply silicone sheets (available in pharmacies)
  • Avoid direct sun exposure and use sunscreen
  • Apply lightening creams

If all else fails, talk to your plastic surgeon about revising the scar. That is a relatively simple and quick procedure.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

How to reduce areolar scars

The best way to reduce an areolar scar is not to make one in the first place! For any scar I make, I try to set the skin up to heal with minimal tension (by what sutures I use and how I place them) and  we have a very specific protocol we will all you through including silicone gel sheeting.  Your surgeon likely has a protocol they prefer and you should follow it and their advice.  

Improving areola scars

Surgical scars should heal well with a fine line scar if:

1) there is relatively little tension on the closure,

2) it is performed with good technique, and

3) there is no post op infection or other problems.  

To improve your scars they can be revised if they have matured.  When the revision is performed if there is likely to be tension on the closure a purse-string incision can be made and a permanent suture can be used to keep the tension off of the incision.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Areola Scars from Breast Augmentation

An areola incision is not my preferred incision for a breast augmentation because they can be more perceptible and they are inconsistent for healing. If you are considering an areola incision, several things should be noted. If you have large , distinct areolas then it may be easy to perform an incision around that area, but remember that the chance of nipple sensory loss is about 15% in this area versus 5-7% from an inframammary fold incision which can be hidden in the fold. Certainly, in patients of color I do not recommend areola incisions as they do not heal, in my experience, as well as other incisions such as inframammary fold incisions.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Fading Scars

• Scars will fade with time. Scars require 18 months to mature and get worse (at 6-9 months), before they get better (18 months).
  • Use scar therapy creams as recommended on the label. Scar therapy is most effective in the first 6 months after surgery.
  • Bleaching cream could be helpful if you are developing dark pigmentation
  • Avoid ANY tanning rays/ultra-violet for 6 months, after surgery
  • Laser treatments of scars may be a useful adjunct (ask your surgeon)

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Can't be done

Scars are permanent but do improve with time, massage, and sometimes IPL laser treatments.  Occasionally, a scar revision can be done to make them look less conspicuous but scar revision is not scar removal.

The scars around the areola after breast augmentation typically heal very nicely. It takes a full year for a scar to mature fully. Some treatments can help that process occur more quickly include silicone sheets/gel, daily scar massage, or the use of paper tape applied over the scar.

It's best to ask your surgeon about formal recommendations because they will have specific techniques that they prefer. Also important to make sure that your incisions have fully healed before starting any scar therapy.

Austin Hayes, MD

Scar Gels

There are new scar gels which have growth factors in them which can improve the appearance of the scars.  I typically wait one month before applying anything to the scars.

How can I reduce areola scars from breast augmentation?

Hello! Thank you for the question!  The typical incision used for breast augmentation are: inframammary (in the fold beneath your breast), periareolar (at the border of the areola), axillary (within the armpit crease), and TUBA (through the umbilicus). Incision placement will do a lot with your preference, surgeon comfort level with that approach, and the type of implant - silicone implants will be difficult to place within certain access incisions. Breast augmentation scars are well concealed and are very discrete. They should not be visible within clothing, and likely hidden without clothing. If your concern is the visibility without garments, you should consider remote access incisions such as in the armpit. However, these other incisions heal very well on the breast and often times inconspicuous. 

It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process. 

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Consult with a plastic surgeon your goals, concerns, and expectations. Certainly incisions should be considered, but should not limit your overall result by hindering visualization and access to your surgeon, and what produces the best results in his/her hands.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD