How Can I Get Rid of Bad Scars from Breast Augmentation?

I did a breast aumentation. The doctor did a very bad job! I regret every single minute that I went to him. The damage is done. Is anything that I can do to remove the scars on my breast? He left a T - really bad scar on my breast? Is there any procedure, surgery or anything to remove the scar in my breast? Please help me.

There are many things you can do to assist with scar...

+5

There are many things you can do to assist with scar maturation such as massage, lotions like emu oil, and IPL treatments. Even left to their own devices, the scars will generally improve over 1-2 years and get even better over a longer time period.

It sounds as though your relationship with your doctor was suboptimal and that may be causing you to be extra critical of scars that are actually normal. Perhaps seeing another doctor for an evaluation would be wise and could put your mind at ease about your own situation.

Bad Scars after Breast Augmentation Can Be Improved with Laser and or Revision

+3

Thank you for your question. I am very sorry to hear of your experience.

If your scars are new and pink or red then IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) or Non ablative Erbium Laser Treatments can help improve them.

If the scars are mature-over a year or two old-then surgical revision may be necessary.

Usually these scars can be improved. Of course see your doctor and ask what can be done. If you do not get the answers that you are looking for seek a second opinion with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced in Breast Surgery.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Make sure a scar revision is not done prematurely.

+2

Most scars improve with time and require no revision.  Reoperation will only lengthen the time it takes to get a good result.  I would suggest you visit a different plastic surgeon and discuss the possibility of revision.  If the scar is less than 6 months old, I would be shocked if a revision was offerred.

Scar characteristics are important

+2

What is a bad scar? This means different things to different patients. It is important to look at the characteristics of the scar:size, width, height, color, texture, location, contour. Each characteristic is judged separately and treatment is customized. Unfortunately, scars cannot be erased, just modified. In general, it is usual practice to give the body time to have the scar process go through its many phases. This may take six to twenty-four months.

It is usually a mistake, or even unnecessary, to prematurely "treat" a scar. Redness will often resolve. Thickness will abate. Texture will soften. I have seen over-treatment of scars that lead to additional problems or at least more expense without benefit. There are a myriad of potential treatments (scar revision, Z- or w-plasties, silicone gel or sheeting, steroid injections, laser treatments, pressure therapies) but some carry significant side-effects or costs, promise results that are unpredictable, or may not address the specific sharacteristic you want to influence. Be patient and work carefully with a reputatble plastic surgeon. Do not jump into treatments before considering the risks and benefits.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Help with Breast Scars

+2

I am so sorry you had that experience. It sounds as if you also had a lift (thus the T-scar).

If it is still early, less than a year, scar creams can help. Examples of scar creams are Scar Guard and Kelokote and they are available without a prescriptions.

If it has been longer than a year, bad scars may sometimes need to be revised with surgery. Seeing a plastic surgeon can help determine if that is an option.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

How can I get rid of bad scars from breast augmentation?

+1
It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.  It appears as if you had a breast lift at the same time?  Depending on the time from the procedure, some of these modalities or laser therapy may help.  However, scar revision may certainly be entertained, which could be performed at the same time as any revisionary procedure, if you are unhappy with the result.

Hope that this helps!   Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Scars after surgery

+1
Scars take one to two years to mature (soften, lighten, and flatten) - if you are before the one year mark I would recommend scar massage and silicone sheets. It is also important that your scars not have any sun exposure.

If you haven't been back to see your surgeon to let him of your concerns, I would start there. If you are uncomfortable returning to your surgeon or have seen him without results, I would recommend seeing a different plastic surgeon to discuss your options (laser treatment or scar revision). Good luck.

Grant Stevens, MD

Incision Placement and Scarring Following Breast Augmentation

+1

It’s important to realize that wound healing is a dynamic process and that you may not see your final result for at least a year following surgery. We frequently see wounds that are unattractive in the initial phases of wound healing, but ultimately look good with the passage of time.

It’s also important to understand that there’s no way to perform surgery without an incision and this means scarring. Plastic surgeons can hide or minimize scars, but no one can actually remove them. Scarring is dependent upon multiple factors. The patients wound healing biology is just as important as the surgeon’s technical skill. This means that scarring doesn’t necessarily mean bad surgery, but may be related to the patients wound healing characteristics.

In the early post-operative period, massage, topical agents and sun avoidance can all be utilized to minimize scarring. Occasionally, treatment with lasers may also be helpful. If scarring persists for longer than a year, surgical revision may be necessary.

It’s important to have an honest discussion with your surgeon about scarring. In some cases, where trust is an issue, a second opinion may be helpful.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision from a breast augmentation

+1

Every person heals differently and will improve over the next 3 to 6 months. If the scar has not healed well then a revision may be needed.    Some patients require up to one year to fully mature.  Once revised there are several steps to follow.  A nice scar starts in the operation room. The incision must be placed in the right position, sutured keeping the tension off of the skin itself.  Also it has been show that keeping the incision taped for the first three weeks keeps some of the early tension off of the scar.  Then from the end of the third week to the end of the third month it helps to use a topical product with silicone.

Treatment for Breast Aug Scars

+1

Non-surgical options for reducing breast augmentation scars would be scar massage, and compressive silicone scar treatment patches.  The compressive silicone sheets would need to be worn for several months.  If this did not provide the results you had hoped for, scar revision surgery may be needed.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD