How Do I Prevent Staining my Teeth or Veneers?

Don't use a whitening toothpaste!

+3

In my opinion, stay away from whitening toothpastes.  They tend to be abrasive in nature (i.e. the whitening) and over time, can wear down the glaze that keeps porcelain so stain resistant.   Instead of a whitening toothpaste I would look at using a "whitening mouthrinse" thats on the market. 

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

DO NOT SMOKE!!!!! Coffee, tea (especially green tea),...

+3
  1. DO NOT SMOKE!!!!!
  2. Coffee, tea (especially green tea), and ice teas can cause a lot of staining
  3. Brush as soon as possible after drinking red wines
  4. Consistent, routine visits to a dental hygienist for cleanings can eliminate or minimize staining before it starts to become noticeable.

Gary M. Radz, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Dental veneers

+2

Veneers should not stain, only  the teeth under them can ! So you might still need a touch up take home whitening kit, and keep your cleaning  regular  .  keep away from too much acidic drinks, and juices( lemonade, lemon) Keep a good hygeine regmiment of  brushing, rainsing, water pick, floss, and mouthwash , and you are all set for long lasting good looking veneers.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

How do I prevent staining my teeth or veneers

+2

Here are a few suggestions:

1.  Do Not smoke!

2. Avoid abrassive whitening toothpastes.

3.  Avoid alcohol based pigmented mouthwashes.

4.  Always try to rinse your mouth after eating,' if you can not.brush and floss your teeth at that moment.

5.  Last suggestion and the BEST one! Drink liquids such as red wines, green tea, hot or iced tea, coffee, and acidic sodas  through a straw.  This way the liquid by passes most of the teeth and consequently, less staining!  Hope this helps!

Robert Fields, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Maintain bright teeth and veneers

+2

Teeth naturally stain from foods with high food color such as coffee, red wine, cranberry juice, mustard and of course tobacco. The stains can be minimized with regular professional cleanings and more important DILIGENT brushing and flossing at home with a soft toothbrush and non abrasive toothpaste used long enough.

The beauty of Porcelain Veneers is that they are like fine china and do not stain. Occasionally, the margins (edges) will collect stain that can be professionally removed.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers are very color stable

+2

Unlike composite veneers (many can shift in color over time and are somewhat porous), porcelain veneers don't change color over time. Some dentists may use a cement that can yellow over time, but most experienced cosmetic dentists don't.

What needs to be considered are the margins. The EDGES of the veneers might become discolored, so a skilled cosmetic dentist makes sure that the margins are placed in an area that won't be noticed if they DO discolor.

Colored beverages can discolor tooth structure or stain margins. Coffee, colas, tea, red wine, etc should be avoided or used infrequently. Smoking is terrible too.

Routine visits to the dental office can help keep them white as well.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Rinse teeth or veneers after eating

+2

The secret to avoiding stain is to make sure you rinse after eating. In an ideal world brushing after ingesting food would be most effective. The longer food that can potentially stain your teeth is in contact with your teeth the greater the chance of them taking on stain. Veneers are less porous than stain and take on stain at a much slower pace if at all.

Ryan Sellinger, DMD
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

If done correctly, the area where the tooth and the...

+2

If done correctly, the area where the tooth and the veneer meet is not visible, so there is no chance of the tooth showing any staining. The porcelain does not absorb stain like a natural tooth.

Any fluoride paste with “whitening” doesn’t bleach the teeth, but it does help remove stains.

I highly recommend the Sonicare toothbrush and have used it myself for years.

Jennifer Jablow, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Red wine, tea, and alcohol-based, pigmented mouthwashes...

+2

Red wine, tea, and alcohol-based, pigmented mouthwashes stain your teeth the worst.

Avoiding drinking dark liquids, such as black coffee, black tea, red wine, soy sauce, gravies, fruit juices, colas, etc., or if you choose to drink those dark liquids, you should immediately rinse with water. It will help maintain the whiteness of your teeth after tooth whitening, bonding, or veneers.

Jeffrey Golub-Evans, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist