How Do I Keep my Dental Veneers White?

just spent a bunch on my porcelain veneers, but I still drink coffee and smoke.  how can i keep them looking bright white?

Maintaining veneers

As with anything, routine maintenance is key with porcelain veneers.

A well done set of veneers will have a nice polished glossy sheen, and if the dental office is not experienced with porcelain, the sheen can be dulled during cleaning appointments (remember the gritty toothpaste?). A special non-abrasive polish can be used to keep them shiny.

One shouldn't worry about chewing differently with veneers, as most people use their back teeth to chew. However, "your teeth are not a tool" and therefore one should avoid opening bottles or bags of chips with them.

Teeth can stain, so if the veneers were not done carefully, things like tobacco products, coffee or red wine could stain the edges, revealing where they were bonded in place.

Well done and well maintained veneers should last a very long time.

Keeping Veneers White and Beautiful

I think  most porcelain veneers are pretty much stain resistant, but i would stay away from coffee, red wines, tea, and if you consume a lot of these beverages, do it through a straw....this bypasses the teeth .  i would stay  away from whitening tooth paste because they are abrasive and can dull the veneer. I would also have them cleaned and polished in your dental office to maintain their beautiful luster!  Enjoy them and your smile!

Robert Fields, DDS
Van Nuys Dentist

Keep brushing and flossing like your natural teeth

Good quality dental veneers are resistant to tooth discoloration. A non-whitening and non-abrasive tooth paste recommended. Just keep them clean, do not bite on hard food to avoid any crack helps you.

Bruce Vafa, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

White like a toilet bowl!

One wonderful characteristic about porcelain veneers is their resistance to staining. However, they are not completely impervious to stain. We often see staining with patients who frequent coffee, red wines, or food with high chromatic value.

Daily maintenance should include brushing with a soft bristle tooth brush and non-abrasive toothpaste (i.e. Non-whitening) and flossing. Additionally, ampoule whitening can be used after ingesting food with color to prevent stain accumulation.

If the staining progresses and cannot be handled with daily maintenance, in-office whitening can be used to help eliminate some stain. The whitening works by oxidizing stain.

In some case recession occurs and may appear as stain in this case the veneers can be replaced.

Lastly, if the staining is more than whitening can handle the veneers can be replaced in the same manner they were placed the first time.

Your dentist can help you decide what is best for you…

Ryan Sellinger, DMD
Manhattan Dentist

Keep veneers white

Unlike natural teeth, or composite bonding, veneers do not absorb stain. They should stay white generally. Just stay away from abrasive polshes and toothpastes 

Anjali Rajpal, DMD
Beverly Hills Dentist

How Do I Keep my Dental Veneers White?

So the question is how do I keep my dental veneers still looking white. If you still have habits that may stain the veneers like coffee, teas or smoking then the best thing that you can do is certainly have more frequent visits to your dentist and your dental hygienist for cleanings and for polishing. If they are porcelain veneers the staining should be able to be able to be polished off. If they are direct bonded veneers or a composite eventually those stains will make there way into the material and they will have to be replaced more often. So I know that life is meant to be enjoyed, but sometimes you have to make choices and you can either choose to change the way the you indulge with things that stain or just up the maintenance…that’s it.

How To Care for Dental Veneers to Keep Them White

Before answering this question, are you referring to plastic composite dental veneers or porcelain veneers

Although modern plastic composite materials that are used today for dental veneers are a huge improvement over materials we would use years ago, they still can discolor and pick up stain with time.  A gentle polishing at your cosmetic dentist's office can usually remove any surface stain, but any internal discoloration or color shift of the veneer with plastic composite veneers would be difficult to whiten without redoing the composite veneer completely.  This is why so many dentists and patients today greatly prefer porcelain veneers, which are much smoother on the surface and rarely undergo any color change whatsoever or pick up much surface stain.  You can continue to drink coffee and smoke, and your porcelain veneers should not change color, and any minute amount of surface stain can usually be removed with gentle brushing, or using a little low abrasive toothpaste on a Q-tip, or returning to your dentist for a gentle polishing.

Dr. Norman Huefner

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Dentist

Keeping Veneers White

If you are not going to stop smoking or drinking coffee then here are some suggestions. 

Smoke out the side of your mouth so the smoke doesn't go over your front teeth. Drink coffee with a straw so that it passes directly to the back of your mouth.

Rinse your mouth out with water or mouthwash and brush and floss your teeth immediately after smoking or drinking coffee

Maintain regular dental checkups and have your teeth cleaned every 3-6 months.

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Dentist

Good Quality Veneers are virtually stain resistant

A good quality veneer case should be stain resistant for the most part. I would be recommned maintaining a good oral hygiene program which should include brushing and rinsing after drinking beverages that you believe could stain. Just because the veneers may or may not stain your other teeth will.

Enjoiy your beautiful new smile!

Marielaina Perrone, DDS
Henderson Dentist

Will Veneers Discolor Over Time?

Porcelain veneers are for the most part resistant to stain from coffee, tea, red wine, etc.   They keep their beautiful appearance for years and years as long as you stay away from very abrasive toothpastes that contain baking soda or peroxide.  In addition, make sure that your dental hygienist is aware that you have veneers.  He or she will use a less abrasive polishing paste when cleaning your teeth to help ensure that your veneers keep their luster.