What's the Best Back Acne Treatment?

I HATE the back acne (backne) breakout i've had for too long. What really works best to get rid of back acne?  Is the back acne treatment the same as for facial acne?

Acne on the Back

Acne on the back can be difficult to treat with just topicals although most topical antibiotics and comedolytics (retinoids) do work for mild back acne. However, it is very difficult to consistently apply the medicine to the back and be weary as some topicals that contain benzoyl peroxide can bleach clothing and sheets.

Regarding backne, I would recommend seeing a dermatologist since over the counter medicine will typically not do the trick either. Prescriptions consisting of orals and topical antibiotics are often the most appropriate.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Treating acne on the back

Acne on the back is difficult to treat because of the problem of physically reaching the affected area. It's impossible to reach all of the affected areas to apply a cream or lotion. That is why I always choose cleansers first in treating back acne.

I like cleansers with glycolic or salicylic acid. These help unclog the pores by exfoliating the top layers of skin, releasing the oil and debris that is trapped in the pores and also decreasing the likelihood that new clogged pores will form. When these treatments aren't enough, it may be best to try an oral antibiotic.

It is also important to remember to shower soon after exercise. If you are sitting around in sweaty clothes after your workout, the pores are more likely to get clogged and trigger a breakout.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Back acne

Depending on the type of acne, their are various prescriptions that can be used. You can also have extractions and a chemical peel on the back to set you on the right track, which would be similar to face acne treatments.

Dennis Gross, MD

Back Acne

The treatment of back acne is similar to facial treatments, except its more difficult to apply topical agents. The skin is thicker and usually requires a regime with more than one agent. You should schedule an appointment with an experienced dermatologist to evaluate you.

David J. Sire, MD
Fullerton Dermatologic Surgeon

Best Back acne treatments!

The best back acne treatments include a combination of oral antibiotics and topical creams. This includes Doxycyclin, Minocyclin or even Keflex. Topicals include Benzoyl Peroxide Wash and Clindamycin lotion. I also recommend Accutane. Dr. Behnam.

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Backne treatments

Acne on the back or backne, can be very difficult to treat.  The easiest way I usually start with benzoyl peroxide wash in the shower, topical creams, and often oral antibiotics.  Chemical peels help a lot.  In severe cases, isotretinoin is sometimes used if its a cystic scarring type of backne.  We also do Isolaz acne treatments on the back and occasionally Photodynamic therapy.  There are lots of ways to treat backne, get to a great board certified dermatologist to help you. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologic Surgeon

Back Acne

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Acne on the back is still acne.

And from your language, it looks like you might be headed for an unrealistic expectation as in "get rid" of acne.

It's probably wiser to think in terms of making the acne condition "better."

I'm not going to name products because every patient is different and the way they are treated should be tailored to them.

The one suggestion I will make is that if you are a student or work sitting for hours during the day, you seek out some kind of cushioning that lessens the pressure from the back of your chair.  Acne can flair in those areas -- athletes see it under chin straps and shoulder pads.

See your doctor for the appropriate treatment.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

Back Acne treatments

Laser and light technology together with certain peels and injections, can clear existing acne blemishes and produce truly dramatic effects. You should be advised on the proper skin care mechanism to clear and control your acne, and can be prescribed both topical and oral medications. Once you eliminate active breakouts, laser treatments, dermabrasion and/or peels can erase any changes in skin texture and tone due to scarring.

Ava Shamban, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

... depends on how bad acne is- lotions or tablets, read more-

Bacne or back acne can be more resistant to treatment compared to facial acne. 

I will simplify treatments by suggesting 1. Topical  2. Oral 3. Topical and oral medication. 

OK, if you have mid acne you can try Benzoyl Peroxide 5% - trick is to leave on for 90 seconds before washing off. Another compounded solution is 5%-8% Sal acid in ethanol.

Looking at option 3 you can combine these lotions with antibiotics prescribed by your doctor. 

Last resort (or first choice if you acne is scarring) is Accutane (ISOTRETINOIN). For Bacne, you will require a longer treatment period, possibly up to 14-18 months. 

I hope this helps you....

Regards

Dr Davin S. Lim 
Cosmetic and Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Best Back Acne Treatment

Back acne is very common however it is not treated as much because most patients aren’t bothered by it as much as facial acne. The treatments would be the same for the back as the face, the only difference being the back is generally less sensitive making stronger products necessary. They may be difficult to apply but topicals work great for back acne. Oral antibiotics have been the preferred choice of treatment because of their simplicity. Peels are also an excellent method of minimizing back acne as well as lightening any acne scarring. Resorcinol and Salicylic acid peels have worked with great success as well.