What to do about the hole in my nose?

Not really sure if this is the right place but I have a hole in my nose from doing cocaine about 5 years ago. This hole is growing in size even though I've stopped the drugs for over 3years now. My nose is falling apart and its really depressing me. What can I do to fix it, I know the cartilage wont grow back so for the last 1.5 yrs I've been putting Ayr nasal gel and petroleum jelly on the exposed cartilage. Now the whole nose is caving in on me and there is a hole the size of my index finger that can almost fit through from one side to another. PLEASE HELP in any way possible.

Need to see an ENT surgeon ASAP

+2

You should see an ENT surgeon ASAP for proper evaluation and instructions on performing nasal washes to prevent a chronic nasal infection.  It's unwise to place any oil based product inside the nose as this can cause lipoid pneumonia if it gets into the lungs.  Ayr is water based and would not be in this category, but petroleum jelly is oil-based.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

what to do about the hole in my nose

+1
 The hole In the nose can be repaired with a septal button which can placed under local anesthesia to close the hole. The septal perforation creates cross ventilation of the nose which causes crusting, debris, bleeding and nasal obstruction. Reconstruction of the bridge line can be performed if the shape of the nose is changed  with cartilage graft harvested from the ear.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/photogallery/rhinoplasty_photos24.html

Hole in your nose is called a septal perforation

+1

Septal perforations are holes in your septum. They can happen because of cocaine use, among many reasons. A surgeon with an ENT (Otolaryngology) background is a specialist in this problem and may be able to help you. 

-Dr. Zoumalan

Hole in the nose and nasal collapse

+1

Dear Jayha:

The hole in your nose is called a septal perforation, and it is not uncommon in cocaine users. If they are small and are not causing much of a problem, they can be treated symptomatically (with Ayr solution) or they can be closed with a small silastic "button" or surgery. It sounds like yours has become larger and more troublesome with some collapse of the nasal dorsum.  In this case I would encourage you to seek consultation with an experienced ENT physician, or with one of us that are double-boarded in ENT and plastic surgery. This can be improved but may take several surgeries, and the use of cartilage and rib grafts rather than any type of silicone like products for support of your nose.  Good luck, and I would seek help as soon as possible

Septal perforation and nasal collapse from cocaine use

+1

You should have your nose examined by someone experienced with septal problems to see what's going on specifically in your nose. Cocaine use is a common etiology of such a problem. Depending on its size it may be amenable to closure.

To address the outward changes to your nose cartilage grafting typically needs to be done. Seeing a board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon with experience in fixing noses damaged by cocaine would be the way to go.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty

Cocaine nose

+1

Congratulations on no longer being on cocaine. It sounds like you will need nasal reconstruction wth a rib cartilage graft to support the nose. The septal perforation may be able to be repaired. Sometimes, depending on the symptoms and the configuration of the peforation it is better to remove some exposed carilage or bone to facilitate more stable healing of the mucosa. You should see an ENT physician or a double boarded ( ENT +plastic surgery) plastic surgeon or a plastic surgeon with special interest in nasal surgery.

Hole in the nose

+1

A hole between the common wall of your nose is called a septal perforation. The size dictates treatment. when small (<0.5cm) surgical success is high and should be considered. When large (>2cm) the successful closure is poor and surgery isn't recommended. Medical treatment in the form of nasal washes and daily lubrication is better for most people. However for the collapse of the bridge of your nose surgery is helpful. Its a lot of reconstructive surgery and requires cartilage harvested from either your ear or rib. 

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septal perforation and nasal collapse

+1

Dear Jayha - thanks for your question - you have a very difficult problem but one that is reparable based on your description.  The septal perforation repair operation and the reconstructive effort for the falling nose second to the perforation is the most difficult operation that we as Facial Plastic Surgeons do - finding a doctor with a good number of these operations under his or her belt is important.  I would make no consideration for enlarging the perforation as this is counter productive and I would also suggest that the reconstructive effort entail the use of no plastic, silicone or gortex materials.  Your nose is currently living in a state of chronic low grade infection - the likely hood of these previously mentioned grafts getting infected is certainly higher than if cartilage grafts (rib) are used preferentially.  The art of perforation repair is slowly dying so do your homework and choose one of us who performs this operation frequently - good luck.

PK (peconic-faces.com) 

Hamptons Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Treatment for Cocaine Induced Nasal Septal Perforation (Hole) and External Nasal Collapse

+1

Hi Jay,

First thing that you can do is keep your fingers out of your nose, you won't be able to help, but you may make things worse.  Second, relax and make a few consultations with experienced and skilled rhinoplasty surgeons.  The hole (septal perforation) can be repaired if it is the size of your index finger, and the collapse of your external nose can be corrected with augmentation cartilage grafts.  Cocaine is a very bad and addicting drug, glad that you are off of it.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Hole in the nasal septum after cocaine use

+1

Unfortunately, this is a common problem for cocaine users. If the hole is small, there may be no symptoms except a whistling sound on inspiration. Large perforations tend to crust and bleed. However in the severly damaged septum, collapse of the nasal dorsum can occur. T his saddle nose deformity can best be treated with a rib graft