I Got Hit in the Breast with a Football. The Area is Tender & Numb. Could my Silicone Implant Have Ruptured?

Football thrown at breast....can it make my 3yr old silicone implant rupture?

Pretty unlikely for an implant to rupture after being hit by a football

+1

The major implant companies guarantee their products against rupturing.  Of course they do rupture infrequently.  Implants mostly rupture from fold flaws or inherent weaknesses in the shell.  It would extremely unlikely for an implant to rupture just from being hit by a football.  Most likely your breast is just bruised, and the issues will likely subside in a couple of days.  If they do not, you'll want to discuss this problem in person with your plastic surgeon.

Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Silicone Breast Implant Rupture after Football Injury?

+1

It would be very unusual for the trauma from a from football to cause a silicone breast implant rupture. Generally speaking, the force needed to cause such a rupture would be more significant.

As always, it is best for you to check with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to advise and probably reassure you.

It is unlikely to rupture a breast implant with a football injury and yet it is possible...

+1

I agree with the other responses here that it is unlikely to rupture a breast implant by being hit in the breast with a football.   It is more likely that the breast is just bruised the same way it would be if there was no implant present. That being said, people make such claims all of the time.  The attached link shows a claim that was widely discussed last year about a possible breast implant rupture from a paintball injury.  My own belief is that any severe force to an implant "could" cause a rupture but it would take a pretty severe force and be very rare.  If pain continues after any injury to the breast which is not simply bruising in the breast itself above the implant the lady should see a plastic surgeon.  General practitioners are not the right doctor to go to about this injury as they simply do not know enough about implants and always end up worrying the patient as in the attached link.  I don't treat high blood pressure or diabetes and they shouldn't be managing implants. Go see a plastic surgeon who will likely order an MRI if there is any concern about a potential leak.  Good luck, and feel better

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants unlikely to rupture from your injury

+1

It is unlikely that your implant  ruptured.   The FDA approved silicone implants are quite durable.  Having said that, if your symptoms don't resolve, please visit with your PS.  An ultrasound or MRI can assess if your implant is OK.  Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast implant rupture unlikely

+1

The force that needs to be exerted upon a breast implant that will induce a rupture is much more than people think. I routinely stomp on and throw sample implants on the floor during my consultations to demonstrate how durable they are. It is very unlikely that a football injury would be able to cause a problem for you. That being said, MRI screening is the best way to know for sure. If your symptoms do not resolve in the next week or so, you may want to have things checked out by your surgeon just to be sure.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Trauma to breast implant

+1
Swelling from an implant injury would produce tenderness and numbness. You should see your plastic surgeon for an examination; if there is a question as to whether the implant has ruptured, a diagnostic study such as an MRI can be performed.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Trauma to Breast Implants

+1

It is unlikely that a thrown ball would have the force to rupture implants.  However, it would be best to arrange a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to ensure that there are no issues.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS