Is It Normal for my Belly Button to Bleed 1 Week Post Tummy Tuck?

At my four day appointment the doctor changed my belly button dressing and it stayed white for a few hours. I am exactly a week out today and it is soaked in blood again. I called on Friday and got a nurse who said it was fine but the more I looked online I found nothing and it made me wonder if this is normal. I am going to call again this morning. Any ideas? Should it be bleeding at all?

Tummy Tuck - Is It Normal for my Belly Button to Bleed 1 Week Post Tummy Tuck?

+1

It may be, but you should speak with your plastic surgeon to be sure.

At one week post-op it is by no means unheard of to have some fluid, whether blood, or serous fluid, or a mix - come out from any of the incisions.  It's actually pretty common.  I usually leave drains in for longer than one and so I expect to see fluid come out.

On the other hand, you have to make sure that the blood flow to the region is intact or, if compromised, that your surgeon is aware of that in case additional treatment is recommended (dressing changes, etc).  And that's nothing something you can reasonably decide on your own, or should have to

I would suggest that your call your plastic surgeon's office and speak with your surgery; going in to see him or her at this point may be a good idea.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Yes

+1

Yes it could happen and it is ok.  I would visit the surgeon and ask his opinion. 

Andre Aboolian, MD

Weeping Belly Button

+1

This may be completely normal.  It is not unusual for incisions to weep a bit of blood occasionally.  If you are concerned, I would agree with your frequent visits to your surgeon.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Bleeding from around the belly button

+1

Bleeding from around your belly button at one week is not rare nor is it indicative of any significant problem. A variety of fairly trivial issues can precipitate this. On extremely rare occassions, this can represent more significant bleeding, etc. I would just contact your plastic surgeon who has been following you just to be sure.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

+1

One week post operative umbilical bleeding needs to be seen by the surgeon of record. YES call the office to be seen today, just to be safe. 

Belly button bleed

+1

it is not unusual to get some bleeding from the belly button.  you might have to place a dry gause on it once or twice a day. i am sure it will be fine

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Post op bleeding-tummy tuck

+1
Some bleeding, which could be expression of a seroma or a small hematoma, can occur a week after tummy tuck. However, it is always a good idea to see your plastic surgeon so that an infection or deeper hematoma can be rulde out. My recommendation is that, when in doubt, a visit to the doctor's office cannot hurt and can nip any problems in the bud.

Robert L. Kraft, MD