How do I Tell if my Gynecomastia is Caused by Fatty Tissues or Breast Tissues?

Have a question? Ask a doctor

You Can Usually Do It Yourself!

In most cases, you should be able to have a good idea if you have fatty breasts (Pseudo-gynecomastia) or "True" gynecomastia simply by examining yourself. 

With Pseudo-gynecomastia, the breast feels soft and homogenous throughout, much like a similar sized female breast.   In contrast, "True" gynecomastia will feel like a firm, well defined disk of tissue, directly beneath the areola and surrounding skin.

The majority of patients I see in the Pacific Northwest actually have a combination of Pseudo and True  gynecomastia.  In this case, you would feel both a soft, fatty, female type breast along with a firm, almost rubbery subareolar disk of tissue.  If your breast is large, it might be difficult to feel this firm tissue however. 

Remember, if you notice any type of mass, bleeding from the nipple, unexplained pain, particularly in one breast, you should seek medical attention in order to avoid missing some other type of serious condition.  

I hope that answers your question.

Gynecomastia Fat or breast tissue

Gynecomastia can be fat, glandular, or a combination of both. An experienced plastic surgeon can tell you what you have an can put a unique surgical plan together for you that will address your concerns while leaving as few visible scars as possible.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Male breast fatty tissue or glandular tissue requires a consultation to sort out.

Enlargement of the male breast known as "gynecomastia" is most often a combination of both glandular tissue and extra fatty tissue. An examination  by a Plastic Surgeon can usually sort this out but occasionally imaging studies such as ultrasound, Xray or MRI can be useful. If you have a very lean body with firm or nodular tissue directly behind the nipple only then chances are this is mostly glandular tissue. By far the majority of men who we help with this condition have this glandular tissue as well as a disproportionate amount of fatty tissue on the chest.

The first step in correcting this is to be near your ideal weight and rule out any medical issues that may be treatable without surgery. Medically reversible causes of gynecomastia are uncommon so the best treatment then becomes surgery. Results from surgical management done by a Plastic Surgeon are highly successful and satisfying for most patients. Good Luck!

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

By going for an examination by a boarded plastic surgeon. Over the internet impossible to advise without that touchy feely experience. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Gynecomastia Usually Comprised of Both Fatty & Glandular Tissue

90% of the cases of the cases that I see of gynecomastia have elements of both excess fat and glandular tissue.  For that reason my treatment  ususally is both excision and liposuction.  Occasionally only one of these elements is present.  Consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon should provide your answer.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Fat Versus Gland

Hi Amauri,

Thank you for the post. Glandular tissue typically feels firm and in some cases can be tender. Fatty tissue feels softer and less distinct. The best advice I can give you is to be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in gynecomastia surgery. The distinction is important as it will dictate the surgical procedure that should be performed.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Male breasts

True gynecomastia will feel more firm than just fat.  Often, there is a combination of excess fat with excess breast in men with "breasts".  The treatment is the same regardless of core composition if weight loss and exercise doesn't do the trick (and it won't with gynecomastia).  Lipo plus gland excision is the best technique to treat the male "breast".

Tim Neavin, MD

How to distinguish breast gland from fatty tissue.

The breast gland is usually pretty easy to feel and distinguish from the fatty tissue, especially by the surgeon.  You have to press and feel the gland against your chest, best done in a lying position.  Massage carefully and deeply until you can appreciate a firmer area, generally disk-shaped rather than round.  The plastic surgeon can do this and describe it to you so you can feel for yourself.

Gregory Diehl, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Physical examination

This can be determined by a physical examination performed by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.