How do I Tell if my Gynecomastia is Caused by Fatty Tissues or Breast Tissues?

Gynecomastia

+2

An exam with a board certified plastic surgeon can definitely help figure this out. This determination will help decide on the appropriate surgial technique to improve the look of the chest.

Male breast fatty tissue or glandular tissue requires a consultation to sort out.

+2

Enlargement of the male breast known as "gynecomastia" is most often a combination of both glandular tissue and extra fatty tissue. An examination  by a Plastic Surgeon can usually sort this out but occasionally imaging studies such as ultrasound, Xray or MRI can be useful. If you have a very lean body with firm or nodular tissue directly behind the nipple only then chances are this is mostly glandular tissue. By far the majority of men who we help with this condition have this glandular tissue as well as a disproportionate amount of fatty tissue on the chest.

The first step in correcting this is to be near your ideal weight and rule out any medical issues that may be treatable without surgery. Medically reversible causes of gynecomastia are uncommon so the best treatment then becomes surgery. Results from surgical management done by a Plastic Surgeon are highly successful and satisfying for most patients. Good Luck!

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

+2

By going for an examination by a boarded plastic surgeon. Over the internet impossible to advise without that touchy feely experience. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Gynecomastia Usually Comprised of Both Fatty & Glandular Tissue

+2

90% of the cases of the cases that I see of gynecomastia have elements of both excess fat and glandular tissue.  For that reason my treatment  ususally is both excision and liposuction.  Occasionally only one of these elements is present.  Consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon should provide your answer.

John Whitt, MD

How to distinguish breast gland from fatty tissue.

+1
The breast gland is usually pretty easy to feel and distinguish from the fatty tissue, especially by the surgeon.  You have to press and feel the gland against your chest, best done in a lying position.  Massage carefully and deeply until you can appreciate a firmer area, generally disk-shaped rather than round.  The plastic surgeon can do this and describe it to you so you can feel for yourself.

Gregory Diehl, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Physical examination

+1
This can be determined by a physical examination performed by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Gynecomastia

+1
The breast in men is a combination of breast tissue and fat just like the female breast. So the reduction of gynecomastia is usally done with a combination of liposuction and glandular excision through a small peri- areolar scar. The recovery is usually very quick and with minimal pain

G. Wesley Price, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Fat or breast tissue

+1
Gynecomastia can be fat, glandular, or a combination of both. An experienced plastic surgeon can tell you with you have an can put a unique surgical plan together for you that will address your concerns while leaving as few visible scars as possible.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Can Occur in Several Forms

+1

Gynecomastia can occur in several forms. In some cases known as glandular gynecomastia there may actually be growth of the breast tissue. In other cases there may be diffuse fatty tissue and in some cases there may be a combination of both types of gynecomastia.

The differentiation of glandular gynecomastia from diffuse fatty gynecomastia is extremely important for several reasons. Not only is the cause of these conditions different, but they may require different treatments as well.

In the majority of patients physical examination by a plastic surgeon can differentiate these conditions. When glandular tissue is present, there is firmness which is not present with fatty tissue. In rare cases, radiographic studies, ultrasound or MRI studies may be necessary for this differentiation. This is important because treatment may vary depending upon the specific type of gynecomastia which is present. In some cases where there is a glandular component, excision will be necessary. In cases where diffuse fatty tissue is present, liposuction may be adequate. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon