Left Side Looking Bigger Than Right Side After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi I have had a gynecomastia surgery to both sides of my chest, but after a week the left side looked the same prior to the surgery. It has been 3 1/2 weeks now and the left side is still looking the same while the right side has decreased. What should I do?

Asymmetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi Manchester9828,

Thanks for the post. It would be helpful if you could provide a photo. At 3-4 weeks you are still early in your healing and there is still settling that will occur. Whether you will need a revision is too soon to tell. I recommend that you keep in communication with your surgeon. I would wait at least 6 months prior to doing any further surgery if it comes to that.

SIncerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Asymmetry

Some asymmetry is normal throughout the entire process start to finish.  Breasts start off asymmetrical, liposuction and glandular excision is somewhat different to small degrees, swelling will be asymmetric, healing is different, and the results will necessarily have some asymmetry.  Big asymmetry is uncommon and could be corrected generally in the office after 3 months under local anesthesia.

Tim Neavin, MD

Too early to tell

It's still too early to judge your results. Best to give it a couple of months for the swelling to subside and things to even out.

It is too early to assess the symmetry or outcome of your surgery.  Give it 6-8 weeks and communicate any concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

In the Immediate PostOp Period, Swelling Contributes to Asymmetry Following Male Breast Reduction

It’s not unusual for patients to experience asymmetry following the surgical management of gynecomastia. In the immediate post-operative period, swelling and scarring may contribute to this asymmetry. It takes about six to twelve months for swelling to spontaneously resolve. In the majority of cases, patients are happy with their symmetry, once this occurs.

Unfortunately in a small number of patients, asymmetry persists after the resolution of swelling. When this occurs revisional surgery is often necessary.

It’s still very early in the post-operative course and your asymmetry may be related to swelling. This swelling can be minimized by utilizing compression garments and massage. Be patient and make sure you discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Be Patient

I understand your concern.  Was the procedure liposuction only?  Was your chest asymetrical before surgery.  Sometimes more work is done on one side causing more swelling.  I would give it 6 weeks wear your compression garment and then discuss your issues with the surgeon.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Asymmetry after gynecomastia

Frequently, the sides of the chest are asymmetrical to begin with and, if so, this may account for the variation. It would not be uncommon for patients to have more bruising or swelling on one side of the chest than in the other. I would recommend that you wait for three months, at minimum, after surgery and, if the condition does not improve, discuss it and proposed ways to correct the asymmetry with your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

3 weeks post op

Discuss everything with your surgeon and find out exactly what was done during the surgery. It is easier to suggest potential treatment options with a more complete clinical history.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Los Angeles Male Breast Surgery

Given that  you are so early out from surgery, I would suggest to relax and not be so apprehensive about the asymmetry. It is not uncommon to have asymmetric swelling especially after gynecomastia surgery. Residual swelling can persist as long as 4 to 6 months in some cases. If, at that point, you still have a profound asymmetry, consult with your plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD