Heterotopic Calcification of Saline Implants

Doctor recently performed capsulectomy of 15 yr old saline implants, and replaced with silicone implants under the muscle in a new pocket. He said one of my old saline implants had heterotopic calcification and that this was very unusual for saline implants. Does this mean that I had bone growing on my old implants? Is that dangerous?

Calcification around Saline Implants

+3

Yes, calcification can occur around saline implants.

Calcification is a deposition of calcium (not bone formation) as a consequence of a chronic inflammatory process.

The term "heterotopic" means in an abnormal location.

There is no danger for you with this type of calcification, but they can create confusion on your mammograms. Calcifications can be a sign of cancer on a mammogram, though the pattern is usually different from what is seen with a calcified implant capsule.

The calcifications should have been visible on your previous mammograms. You and your doctors will want to monitor your future mammograms for signs of calcification.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Heterotopic Calcification of Breast Implant Capsules

+2

Heterotopic Calcification. Let's first look at the definition of the words: Heteroptopic refers to normal tissue present at an abnormal site. Calcification means calcium (an egg shell is mostly calcium for example) not bone in which calcium is but one ingredient. Heterotopic calcification is not an unusual finding in implants over 15 or more years. It can be found with saline or silicone implants thought in my experience more common with silicone implants. It is not related with any disease process and cannot harm you though can feel uncomfortable as part of a capsular contracture, makes your implant feel hard, and your breast can be  distorted by its presence. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Calcification around breast implants

+1

Calcification around implants can occur with saline or silicone implants. It usually doesn't cause problems but it can make reading mammograms more difficult. When someone has extensive calcification and is undergoing a breast procedure (implant exchange or capsulotomy), I will remove all of the calcifications. This is accomplished by removing the entire capsule. 

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Calcification of capsule

+1

Calcification of the capsule can develop as a reaction of the capsule around the implants. This does not usualy cause a problem.

Heterotopic calcification of breast implants

+1

In most instances this means calcification or a thin eggshell like collection of calcium deposits that form as par to of a chronic foreign body reaction to the implant

Heterotopic Calcification around Old Implant

+1

It’s good that they were removed but this is not dangerous. The cause is a reaction by the breast capsule that forms calcium in the lining.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Heterotopic calcification

+1

Heterotopic calcification is simply the accumulation of calcium deposits within the soft tissue. This can happen after prolonged inflammation, resolution of a hematoma, or in old fracture sites. Calcification of breast implant capsules does seem to happen more with silicone implants, but I have definitely seen it with saline implants.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Aberrant Calcification around Old Breast Implants

+1

regarding:  "Heterotopic Calcification of Saline Implants
Doctor recently performed capsulectomy of 15 yr old saline implants, and replaced with silicone implants under the muscle in a new pocket. He said one of my old saline implants had heterotopic calcification and that this was very unusual for saline implants. Does this mean that I had bone growing on my old implants? Is that dangerous
?"

Not to worry heterotopic bone formation is nothing to worry about and is not dangerous. It is seen occasionally in cases of long-standing inflammation in which for an unknown reason, among the scar tissue put down by the body calcium is deposited as well which may resemble an oyster shell. This was seen more with old silicone gel implants but can be seen with ALL implants. It does not pose a health risk.

It sounds like you have a good and skilled surgeon.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Heterotopic Calcification around Breast Implants

+1

I have seen calcification within the capsule around both saline and silicone implants.  This has never contributed to a problem in my experience either with implant integrety nor with interpretration of mammagrams.

John Whitt, MD