How Do I Tell if I Have a Hematoma After Breast Reduction? (photo)

I had bilateral breast reduction/lift and minimal underarm lipo done on Monday. The bruising was quite severe (and yellow) days 3-4 and on day 5-6 I started to develop a red/purple colouring above and below the incision along the bottom of my right breast. The right breast is definitely more painful than the left but not particularly more swollen. I'm worried that it's a hematoma but no amount of research can show me what a hematoma LOOKS like. Is this normal? I've included photos.

Hematoma after breast surgery

+1

From your pictures if you do have a hematoma, it is not very big.  Evacuation of small hematomas is usually not necessary.  Sometimes they will liquefy and can be aspirated after a short period of time.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Clinical signs of hematoma

+1

almost always involve enlargening of the area, whether its after a facelift, augmentation, or tummy tuck.  The discoloration you show, though considerable, is not unusual and the coloring showing your blood is being resorbed.  Its really hard to have a significant hematoma without major swelling accompanying it.

Curtis Wong, MD

Hematoma following breast reduction

+1

Bruising following breast reduction is universal. The amount of bruising, skin discoloration and associated swelling is different in every patient. This may be due to surgeon technique as well as patient related factors. When there is  question and concern regarding hematoma you should see your surgeon so that they can examine you and make a decision based upon numerous factors.

Jason S. Cooper, MD

Hematoma after breast reduction?

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to say. your overall shape looks nice it may just be normal bruising from surgery. It is best to ask your surgeon in person.