12 Years After Gore-tex Implant in Upper Lips, I'm Unhappy. What Are My Options?

I Need Help and Can't Find a Doctor Who Can Answer Me Honestly.  I Have a  Gortex  Implant in my upper lip. I had it done like 12-13 yrs ago and I have retraction, I haven't been able to smile fully with my upper lip s o the skin above my lip has slowly been lengthening and spreading out to overcompensate for my lip not spreading during smiling. It has caused the corners of my mouth to go down too. Do I even bother having it removed? Won't the Scar Capsule create the same retraction? I need honesty please. Thanks!

Lip implants can easily be removed if necessary.

+1

If you are unhappy with your lip implants, then you should have them removed which is easy to do under local anesthesia.  Then wait 2-3 months and see what your lips look like to see if newer types of implants or other options would be best.  Once the implant is removed, the fibrous tunnel which was around the implant  partially collapses and usually softens without getting worse.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Gortex in lips, NOT

+1

I perform 2 Gortex lip implants years ago. The lips became stiff and smiling was unnatural.  Both patients were unhappy after a couple of years and I removed them.  The lips look undamaged.

James Apesos, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Lip Implants

+1

The Gore-Tex can be removed (probably with difficulty).  It is impossible to say if the scar tissue will contract and cause the same retraction.  If it bothers you, it is probably worth trying.  If necessary, your lip can be augmented with injectables once you are healed.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon