HEAVY Weight TRAINING .. Extended Abdominoplasty for Male

Male 21. 6f 2i 230lbs off pain meds, drains still in 1.5 weeks post op from extended abdominoplasty. Deadlift and Squat are my heaviest lifts, i love training. i'm aware i will have to ease myself back into heavy training again (and it will not be a walk in the park) once given the go by my Doctor, but i want to know typically how long it takes patients to get back to full strength ? Thank you

Exercise after tummy tuck

+1

I generally recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity (no exercise) for 5 to 6 weeks after tummy tuck. After six weeks, I encourage patients to slowly resume exercise routines *gradually*. Remember, during the six week postoperative period - you will be deconditioned. I do prepare patients do notice some increased swelling once exercise is resumed. Over the next several weeks, this post-exercise edema will no longer manifest.  If swelling manifests during your workout routine, you may benefit from use of compression garments.   But please check with your surgeon with respect to his/her specific recommendations.  Enjoy your results!

Dr. Basu

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Heavy lifting post-tummy tuck surgery

+1

I ask my extended tummy tuck patients to refrain from any heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for 6-8 weeks to prevent any complications and ensure proper healing. It may be 4-6 months before you reach your full strength. An abdominal binder is provided to wear for 4 weeks to help minimize swelling and aid in the healing process. Consult your surgeon regarding limitations on physical activity prior to resuming any exercise.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Weight lifting after abdominoplasty

+1

One of the most important parts of the abdominoplasty operation is the rectus plication, this is a tightening of the outer layer of the abdominal wall with sutures. These sutures grab tissue, then your body heals this tightening over time, giving a long lasting improvement to the shape of the upper and lower abdomen.

Weight lifting, particularly squats and dead lifts create a very high amount of intra-abdominal pressure. This pressure is directed at the abdominal wall which must "contain" this pressure. Although the suture line is strong, your body is stronger.

I encourage walking starting the day of surgery. Starting at 3 weeks post surgery, I think it is reasonable to resume mild cardio type exercises.  I strongly encourage no heavy weight lifting until 6 weeks post op, then encourage a gradual resumption over 2 weeks.

I know this seems to be a long time, but you would hate to disrupt the work of your surgery and need to have it redone.

It is difficult to give a timetable to return to pre-surgery strength.  If you are competitive, I would guess it may take six months or so.  If this is non-competitive, maybe 3-4 months.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

+1

in my personal practice I recommend a minimium of 3 weeks after operation. But that is for my patients only you need to follow the advise and post op protocols of your chosen surgeon.