How Can Asymmetry Be Corrected After Tummy Tuck?

I had a Tummy Tuck combined with Lipo on January 15, 2011. I must say I am very please with the results but I am a bit concern about asymmetry when comparing both sides of my tummy now. As you can see on the picture, the right side looks a bit bulkier than the right side. When I touch both sides, I can feel more tightness on the right side than the left one, what makes me think the left side was left with a bit more skin which resulted in asymmetry. I am curious to know what can be done.

Asymmetry after tummy tuck

+3

Hopefully your asymmetries will diminish as time passes since you are relatively early after your surgery.

Otherwise you might want to talk to your plastic surgeon about the issue; often a little liposuction can be performed on the larger side.

Web reference: http://www.drbrent.com/hybridabdominoplastyprocedure.php

Asymmetry post abdominoplasty

+2

It appears you have a great early result.  Give it a bit more time and be prepared to accept the fact that you usually cannot obtain perfection.  Having said that, a bit of touch up liposuction can help but still will not be perfect.

Can asymetry be corrected

+2

Looks like you have a spectacular result. Subtle lack of exact symmetry is the rule rather than the exception.If you are really disturbed by this, I would wait a full year before more surgical intervention

Newark Plastic Surgeon

How to deal with asymmetry after tummy tuck.

+2

You are now 3 months post-op and have a good early result. Swelling is still evident above your immature scar, and although all plastic surgeons like to see this be a bit more resolved by this time, you can honestly expect additional improvements as the next 2-3 months go by. Massage and external ultrasound treatments may help to some degree. Avoid ultraviolet exposure on the still-pink scar to prevent permanent hyperpigmentation!

After 6 months from surgery have passed, if there is still fullness of one side over the other, liposuction can improve this nicely, and could likely be done under local (tumescent) anesthesia. I am fairly certain your surgeon excised a symmetrical ellipse of loose skin; the feeling of more tightness in one side over the other is more a function of residual swelling, subcutaneous scar tissue, and possible sensory nerve regrowth rather than failing to remove enough skin. However, if you are still looser than you would like after 6 months or more, additional skin excision on one or both sides can also be performed under local anesthesia.

Be patient with yourself as you continue to heal, and listen to your surgeon--you have had a skillfully-performed tummy tuck and a very nice result thus far. I'm not saying it can't be improved upon, but make sure you're not asking your surgeon to "hit a moving target" by operating too soon before everything has settled and softened, and all swelling resolved as much as possible. Then you and he will really know what you are dealing with! Best wishes!

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/html/tummy-tuck.html

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Correction of Asymmetry After Tummy Tuck

+2

You appear to have gotten a nice result from your tummy tuck although you did not include any pre-op photos.  You are less than 3 months after your surgery and may still see some subtle changes but I think the mild asymmetry will likely persist.  I think this would be easy to correct with some liposuction or excision of the fuller side.  This is a procedure that I would perform in the office under local anesthesia.

+2

Thanks for the posted photos, your result is very good! I would wait til 6 months if still concerned, than a local liposuction might solve your issues. 

Asymmetry after Tummy Tuck

+1

If you're still concerned about asymmetry at the one-year post op mark,  some additional skin excision and/or liposuction surgery may improve the results. Communicate clearly with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Asymmetry after a tummy tuck will usually fade with time.

+1

Your photograph shows an abdominal wall that is still actively healing.  Some asymmetry is the rule rather than the exception in a large operation like yours.  After healing is complete (many months) the asymmetry will probably have vanished.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,21-atlanta-abdominoplast.htm

Male TT results - ? asymmetry

+1

Overall, you have a nice result...and should really be quite pleased.

Yes, I do see the mild fullness that you have noticed.  In the photos, it looks suspicious for a little extra fat in that location.  It could also be residual post-op swelling.

If it doesn't settle down by the time 5-6 months have past, a little liposuction in the area might help the contour.

Male tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

Thanks for your question.  3 months out from a combination liposuction/tummy tuck, we still expect to see some residual swelling.  Oftentimes, abdominal scarring is asymmetric, secondary to having more skin on one side of the body than the other.  We are all born with asymmetries viewing ourselves from the right and left side.  If you haven't already, I would look into endermolgie sessions ( a machine designed to decrease swelling with a combination of suction and massage), to decrease the swelling on the right side and even out the abdomen as much as you can.  Rest assured that your results are spectacular.  Give yourself more time.  If, after an additional 3 months to a year you are still not happy, touch base with your plastic surgeon.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.