Agreed to do full tuck plus flanks. Doc said that once he cuts me open he might have to cut slightly below the belly button which would result in a little slit above the midline of my scar. Which i didnt mind. Told him repeatedly that tight skin was first and scars were second. after, i had found that he decided to just do a mini tuck instead of a full tuck, and moved my belly button down an inch to tighten the top skin(didnt even know they did this) Im upset and this is not what i wanted. How should I handle this? Also, how long do I have to wait to get it fixed?
What Should I Do if my Surgeon Didn't Do What We Agreed on?
Doctor Answers (8)
Tummy tuck results
Communicate with your surgeon in as calmly and not accusatory fashion as possible. Discuss options to improve the situation. It may also be helpful, for your own peace of mind, to seek other well-trained board certified plastic surgeons opinions in person. Best wishes.
What to do if my surgeon din't do what we agreed on?
Web reference: http://www.BetterPlasticSurgery.com
In general, you want to wait at least 3 months before considering a revision. The exact timing depends on various factors, and thus it is best to see your plastic surgeon and let him /her decide how long to wait.
Before considering a revision surgery, you clearly need to talk to your surgeon first and try to determine whether there is an understandable reason why this was done. Perhaps there is a very logical explanation. However, if you are unsatisfied with the answer you get, you are always free to get a second opinion. You should never be afraid of getting more than one opinion.
Martin Jugenburg, MD
You might also like...
Obvious this is a difficult situation. The answer is to sit down with your plastic surgeon and discuss your displeasure. Ask the rationale for the change in plan. Wait at least 6-12 weeks to see what your result are. Then readdress the issue if it is still unacceptable to you. There will have to be some kind of agreement on a revision (if needed) is handled.
Disagreement with Plastic Surgeon
Regarding: "What Should I Do if my Surgeon Didn't Do What We Agreed on?
Agreed to do full tuck plus flanks. Doc said that once he cuts me open he might have to cut slightly below the belly button which would result in a little slit above the midline of my scar. Which i didnt mind. Told him repeatedly that tight skin was first and scars were second. after, i had found that he decided to just do a mini tuck instead of a full tuck, and moved my belly button down an inch to tighten the top skin(didnt even know they did this) Im upset and this is not what i wanted. How should I handle this? Also, how long do I have to wait to get it fixed?"
I am sorry to hear of your predicament. It is obvious that you and your surgeon had a miscommunication. It is also obvious that the surgeon realized that you do not have enough skin laxity to allow a Full Tummy Tuck with removal of the old belly button skin sire because he told you about a short potential vertical scar ("would result in a little slit above the midline of my scar " ).
Only he can explain why he thought a Mini Tummy Tuck was preferable to a Full Tummy Tuck where in exchange for tightening the whole length of the midline (with a resulting flat tummy and narrower waist) you MAY have had a short vertical scar.
If your results are good, I would leave it there. If you have bulging and skin looseness above the belly button you may benefit from a Revision Abdominoplasty in 6-8 months.
Dr. Peter Aldea
Do your results look good?
There clearly was some misunderstanding or miscommunication between you and your surgeon, but are you happy with your results? Does your abdomen look good? What exactly would you want to accomplish with a revision? If you do end up pursuing a revision, it should be when you are well-healed and your scars are nearly mature or fully mature (9-12 months is a decent time-frame).
What is the main complain?
If you are not happy with your results, you need to discuss this with your surgeon. You also can submit pictures for further evaluation. The revision of the tummy tuck is best to be done at least 6-9 moths after the surery.
Options for revision tummy tuck
You would want to wait at least 4 months and preferably 1 year prior to considering a revision. Discuss your concerns frankly with the physician expressing your initial goals and desires and understanding. Try to assess your results and see if it achieved your goals. Ask the surgeon about what he/she plans to do if you desire additional surgery. They may be willing to revise the result at a later date. It is common for the patient to pay for operating room and anesthesia fees at that point.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.
You might also like...
Ask a Doctor
Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.