Alternative Options to Facelift for Patient with Heart Condition?

Since the consensus is that I shouldn't risk my heart's health with getting a Facelift, do I have any alternatives that would not compromise my health?

Facelift alternative for patient with heart condition

+1

Prior to pursuing any cosmetic plastic surgery, consult with your cardiologist as whether you are physically healthy enough.

If so, request your cardiology records and a letter of clearance from your cardiologist be mailed to your facial plastic surgeon. This is to protect the patient from any cardiac events or complications during the surgery.

If you are not cleared for plastic surgery, there are non-surgical options that may help, though not nearly as effect as surgery. Non-surgical options include botox, dermal fillers, peels and lasers. Consult with a cosmetic dermatologist for more information.

"Liquid" facelift for patient with heart condition

+1

If you have not talked to your cardiologist about a facelift, please do so. Alternative techniques may allow a facelift despite a cardiac condition.

In lieu of facelift surgery, reversal of the signs of facial aging can be accomplished using fillers, lasers, peels, and botox. This is popularly called a "Liquid Facelift".

Alternative Options for Facelift for Patient with Heart Condition

+1

I have operated on many people with minor heart problems as well as people who have had angioplasties, stents and even cardiac bypass surgery. However, these people have all been relatively healthy at the time of my surgery and they have all been cleared by their physicians (usually cardiologists).

In general, the biggest potential problem with facelift surgery is not the surgery but the anesthesia. Facelift surgery can be performed with local anesthesia as well. A mini lift type procedure with local anesthesia may work well in your case. The use of tumescent local anesthesia employs very little lidocaine and only a scant amount of epinephrine.

If surgical procedures are truly contraindicated in your case because of a severe heart problem, consideration can be given for the use of filler injections for creases and depressions, BOTOX® for forehead furrows and crows feet, non-invasive (or minimally invasive) laser, peel or other resurfacing type procedures for improving the quality of the surface of your skin.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are many facial procedures that can be performed with local anesthesia

+1

First of all, it is difficult to assess you face as the bottom part and your neck are missing from the photo. You have two options: procedures that can be performed under local anesthesia and procedures that need no anesthesia. Most eyelid procedures can be performed under local anesthesia. It's not clear if you are in mid-blink or have eyelid ptosis. Most upper eyelid procedures can be performed under local anesthesia and there aren't any other good options. Your lower eyelids can also be performed under local anesthesia.

Non-surgical approaches to the lower eyelid might include resurfacing. Fillers and Botox can always be used to improve lines and wrinkles such as the smile lines, forehead lines, squint lines, etc.

Some lower face procedures such as neck lift and mini face lift can be performed under local anesthesia also. Again, because this part is missing from your photo, it is impossible to comment. Good luck!

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

A "Liquid Facelift" with Injectable Fillers is a safe alternative to surgery when you have health issues.

+1

You would be surprised how much younger you would look after a treatment with Injectable Fillers. Areas that you could easily improve include: your deep frown line, lower eyelid grooves, deep nasolabial folds, lips, and downturned corners of your mouth. Adding volume to these areas would not replace the benefits of lifting sagging skin, but could offer you a non-surgical option to improve your appearance. There is typically no downtime, and your results are visible immediately. Procedures are performed in the office with topical anesthetic.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift alternatives for patient with heart condition

+1

You have severe eye ptosis and this can only be treated with surgical treatment which cn be done under local anesthesia.

For the lower face there is no good treatment to replace face lift. You have other treatment options that will help you look better like fillers, fraxel laser and also Thermage.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Options for facelift in patients with a heart problem.

+1

It depends on what kind of "heart condition" you have. Often we do patients that  are cleared by their cardiologist for minilifts or more. If the cardiologist  does not give you clearance for general or local anesthesia, your options are fillers and botox and peels. 

Non-surgical cosmetic treatments

+1

Your eye anatomy is difficult to treat without surgery.

However, you can achieve some improvement with the use of fillers, botulinum toxin (i.e., Dysport), chemical peels, laser resurfacing, radiofrequency or IPL treatments. It would be best for you to meet with a professional to discuss these options. IF you are on blood thinners (including aspirin) you run the risk of bleeding. You should discuss the possibility of having to discontinue these medications with your cardiologist prior to treatment.