Is It Safe to Have Facelift and Liposuction While Taking Amino Acids?

I take the amino acids: l-glutamine and l-tyrosine. I started taking them three weeks ago and found that I crave wine less. I was drinking three to four glasses a day, now down to one or two and getting less by the day.

I do not take any other medications or supplements and apart from my wine vice, I am super healthy and excercise regularly. Can I still proceed with surgery? Facelift and body Liposuction?

Amino acid supplements and alcohol consumption prior to liposuction and facelift

+2

It is usually recommended that all supplelments are stopped prior to surgery because not all interactions and effects on healing are known. The chronic consumption of one bottle of wine per day may have permanently affected your liver which may interfere with your clotting. You could compromise your post operative course by bruising significantly, developing a colleciton of blood under the skin called a hematoma, and this hematoma could cause pressure on the overlying skin causing an interference with blood flow to the area and an ulceration could then develop which will cause a scar. Protein deficiency which is not uncommon in those who consume a large amount of alcohol daily, can interfere with the good healing that is needed after elective cosmetic surgery. You do not want to suffer a preventable complication. Your primary physician should check your blood work to see a general battery of chemistry tests on your blood.

Even if there is no significant abnormalities on your blood tests, you should continue to lessen the alcohol intake and defer your surgery for several months and get a full medical clearance from your physician prior to undrgoin liposuction.

We advise all supplements be discontinuted before surgery

+2

Dear Toppa

It is important to understand the dietary supplements are essentially unregulated. Is your dietary supplement going to interfere with surgery? No one can answer this with certainty because it is impossible to know what is in your dietary supplement.

I am concerned that you are a poorly treated alcoholic. This need to have 4 glasses of wine requires more investigation. Have you been drinking in sufficient excess to damage your liver? This can affect the ability of the body to make the products that help the blood form a clot. Even wine in these quantities can interfere with coagulation. It is important to be honest with your surgeon so they can assess your risks for surgery and arrange an appropriate pre-operative assessment.

Nutritional supplements and amino acids before facelift surgery

+2

There is probably nothing wrong with taking amino acids around the time of surgery. They are typically secreted in the urine if taken in excess.

Many supplements such as fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K that can be taken to excess, and many homeopathic medications such as ginko, St. John's Wort, ephedra, etc. which are more harmful.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Amino acids and surgery

+1

it is safest to stop them as no one can tell for sure, the one I am mostly worried about is the glutamine and how that might affect your sleep and ease of excitation after the surgery.

Julio Garcia, MD

Discontinue all supplements prior to surgery

+1

In general taking amino acids is probably an acceptable idea. However, we do require patients to discontinue all non-herbal and herbal supplements two weeks prior to surgery and two weeks after, in an effort to minimize any bleeding tendencies during the surgery and after.

Facelifts, liposuction, and amino acids

+1

There are a multitude of unregulated supplements that people take for various reasons. Although I have no experience with amino acids, I do not see any potential drawbacks from the standpoint of the surgical procedures you desire, liposuction and a facelift.

The biggest problem with supplements is that many of them have an anti-coagulation effect contributing to bruising and potential surgical bleeding. When in doubt, an option could be to stop the amino acids for a week or so before surgery.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift / Liposuction while taking l-glutamine and l-tyrosine

+1

There are no safety considerations, to my knowledge, with performing Cosmetic surgery and specifically Facelift or Liposuction surgery, involving l-glutamine and l-tyrosine. I would mention this to your surgeon and anesthesiologist to be on the safe side.

Dr. P. Aldea

Supplements and surgery

+1

I am not aware of any contraindication to surgery while taking the supplements you mentioned. Make your surgeon aware of any items you take, but I have personally had patients who take these items and they have all been medically cleared and went on to have successful surgery.

Darrick E. Antell, MD