Hardness Under Skin After Juvederm

I had Juvederm done on Friday for my nasolabial lines and marionette lines. I expected swelling (which I had, and is reducing) but didn't expect hardness under the skin. It feels like two hard lines running down the nasolabial lines. Is this normal? And if so, how long will it last?

Hmm?

+1

Juvederm is used to plump up the wrinkles and with doing so it may draw fluid into the injected areas. The hardness feeling you are describing may be totally normal and seen a few days after you have the Juvederm done. Within usually a week or so the feeling will subside and around week 2 you should be loving its effects. If by chance the region does not become softer than it can be dissolved with Hyaluronidase, an excellent and fast dissolver of Juvederm.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Hardness

+1

Their are many causes of hardness after Juvederm:

• Improper injection plane
  • Improper techinque
  • Aggregation of material (more common in Radiesse)
  • Rare (nodule)
  • Microhematoma

Followup with your injector per your concern level.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps and Ridges after Juvederm

+1

Being that the swelling has progressively reduced, the firmness may also likely soften within the first two weeks.  We teach our patients not to be overly concerned of what they can only feel versus seeing.  Our patients are invited to return in two weeks so that we may address any questions, concerns, and make certain that our mutual treatment goals were achieved.  With that said, I would encourage you to contact your practitioner.  He or she may not want you massaging the area. 

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Hardness understand after Juvederm injection

+1

Juvederm is an excellent hyaluronic acid based injectable that can be used effectively for facial contouring.

It may be possible to feel this dermal filler under the skin shortly after the injection. Your best bet is to place a cold compress on to this area and to gently massage this filler. If you continue to feel this palpable threat or if it becomes visible, return to your doctor as they may choose to remove some of the filler or help melt the filler with the injection of another medication.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Hardness or lumps are rare, but treatable

+1

Juvederm Injections on lip area can sometimes couse some temporary reactions such as swelling, tenderness, brusing, redness, and also as some patients report, the feeling of uneven hard lumps. Usually, condition like these should resolve on its own within days. You could try to massage gently the injection site. It is always recommended to contact your physician to make sure he is aware of your concerns. A quick check up is always a good idea. In rare cases, the lump should be treated with an enzyme called Hyaluronidase that can dissolve the Juvederm.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

This is common, but talk to your doctor

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm and Restylane create some of their beneficial effect by drawing water into the area, expanding the material, and creating the plump and full appearance you desire. Depending on your skin type, the amount of filler injected, and the technique, this can sometimes cause the thick feeling you describe. Usually it abates in a few days, but I would discuss it with my plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

See your doctor right away.

+1

Even after several days, Juvederm can be massaged into a better shape. But don't try this yourself!

The most important thing is how you look. If you have gotten improvement, and these "hard lines" are not visible, you should consider leaving them alone.

In about 2 weeks, you will see the result that will last you for several months. If then you really don't like the result, it can be reversed with injections of hyaluronidase, but this would be very unusual.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Usually this is ok

+1

It is not uncommon to feel some firmness under the skin after filler injection. I tell patients that they can mold it as well for a few days if it appears irregular.  If this should persist, you should probably see your doctor.

Can I Feel Juviderm After It Is Injected Into My Nasolabial Folds?

+1

Hi Mum,

Immediately following injection of Juviderm, as well as other fillers, into the nasolabial folds you can feel the filler. Over a few days that should soften so as to not be bothersome at all. If you feel that there is excessive fullness or hardness after a few days then you should consult with your injecting physician to make sure that all is well. Good luck.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

That's what a filler does!

+1

Fillers fill a sunken area will volume. The pressure of the added volume plumps up the wrinkle. Especially in areas where a larger amount of filler is given, you can feel the filler under the skin. Rest assured, it will soften over time and your wrinkles will return. That is the circle of life!

Robert M. Freund, MD, FACS

Robert M. Freund, MD