Is Hard Swelling/bruising Normal After Liposuction? (photo)

I am one week post op after liposuction to my hips, outer and inner thighs. My bruising today is getting worse and my thighs are more swollen then ever. My main concern is that the bruising/swelling on my inner thighs is hard to the touch, it almost feels like a tensed muscle. It is also still very tender. Is this normal or could it need draining? I'm also worried about it turning into scar tissue and staying this size!

Is Hard Swelling/bruising Normal After Liposuction?

Very hard to see in the posted photos but I would recommend IMMEDIATE visit with the surgeon instead of asking over the net. It appears as swelling but a fluid collection can not be ruled out. Please seek in person care. 

Bruising after thigh liposuction

Your bruising is within normal limits at one week postop. I would encourage you to wear a compression garment and to follow your plastic surgeon's post-op instructions. Tenderness is consistent with swelling and bruising so, at this point, there is no basis for assuming that the swelling will remain or that it will somehow convert into a scarified area.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Normal swelling and bruising after liposuction

The pictures provided show a very typical result 1 week after liposuction surgery. I think you have a normal amount of bruising. It is typically a bit sore which is normal.  Sometimes the bruises will migrate downward into the lower leg. Do not be alarmed if this happens.  At one week out you should be in some type of compression garment that helps with discomfort and support as well as skin retraction. Formal post lymphatic post operative massages typically begin about 2 weeks after surgery in my practice.  Both compression and massage are important adjuncts to this procedure. I hope this helps!

See your surgeon to check for seroma or hematoma

While swelling and bruising are very common after liposuction, if it is sore to the touch and it is significantly swollen, it's best to see your  surgeon just incase it's not a hematoma or seroma.

Swelling and Bruising After Liposuction

Maximum swelling is usually within about three to five days after your surgery, and the majority of it along with bruising goes away in two to three weeks. You may feel some firmness, though, for a few months afterward. You can assess your results at three to four months after surgery.
Massage can start at a week or ten days after surgery. You can use your hands or a soft paint roller for about 20 minutes once or twice a day.

Aggressive massage after liposuction to soften up and smooth your things

it is normal to have bruising at this stage after your liposuction
Massage on all hard feeling areas will soften them up and help to smooth out your contours.  First three months after the procedure is when you should be actively massaging for maximal benefit

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Is normal to have some swelling

After getting liposuction is normal to have some bruises and swelling for a couple of weeks. The bruises should disappear by themselves in 7 to 10 days. The swelling could go on for a while, and still a month later you have some swelling left.

You just have to keep on your compression garments and pain medication. Don't miss your surgeon scheduled follow-ups. If you see that the any of the liposuctioned areas grow bigger, then inform your surgeon as soon as possible, so he takes a look at it.

Rafael E. Estevez Hernandez, MD