Periodic Numbness and Shooting Pain 7 Weeks After Lipo. Is This Normal?

Seems to be healing well, except every hour or so I get a shooting pain in 2 areas of my abdomen. Both areas as still a bit swollen. THose are the only areas that are so to the touch or have any kind of pain/numbness. Is this normal of the healing? This 2 areas were where the largest fat deposits were. My doctor only does and 1 and 3 month check ups unless something is wrong. The pain subsides after a few seconds. It's not crippling or worth taking advil, but is this normal?

Post Liposuction Numbness and Pain Is Common and Should Resolve

+3

Thank you for your question. The numbness and shooting pains that you describe are very common after Liposuction. The nerves are injured during the Liposuction procedure and are attempting to heal. This can take several months. Massage and warm soaks in the tub can help.

Sensation Returning To Treated Areas

+1
Most sensory changes go away by 6-8 weeks, however it is not uncommon for it to last over a year or more. They are considered temporary. Over time the feeling will gradually return to normal. As the feeling comes back you may notice some electric tingling sensations which is quite normal and will subside. That is probably what you're experiencing.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Liposuction recovery

+1

Pain, numbness, minor discomfort is normal following any surgery and particularly following liposuction where the cannula is repeatedly moved around the surgical site. As long as there are signs of infection such as redness and fever and as long as overall you feel OK, you should be OK. In my practice, I see patients a few times the first week after surgery and then at week 2, 4 and 8. I advise all my patients to come in for a quick check up if there is any questions or concerns. 

Louis R. Mandris, MD
Rancho Cucamonga Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after lipo and some pain

+1

While some pain is normal after liposuction, and so is numbness, it is always best to be evaluated by your surgeon. 

Hello

+1

Having sharp pain after liposuction is normal, the nerves regenerate very slow. The numbness and sharp pain will subside with time. Taking anti inflammatories should help with the sweeling and discomfort.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS