Numbness on Left Side of Body After Liposuction?

I had liposuction about a month ago and 2 days after I pinched a nerve in my neck. The doctor thought it could of been from when they turned me over to my back and strained my neck. I had lower back and abdomin liposuction. My toes have been numb for a few weeks and my arm also still tingles and goes numb with the left side of my body mostly when I lay down. Also the other day I was exercising and my right foot went numb. I can still walk but worried someting serious is wrong.

Position changes during liposuction

Liposuction is very safe when performed with only local anesthesia. When you're "out" under general anesthesia or IV sedation, there are other risks introduced. One of them is the inadvertent risk of injury from being moved by a surgical team to get you into a new position during the procedure. It's a great advantage to be awake and able to move for yourself during the procedure to prevent a movement injury and to be able to get into the perfect position for the surgeon to do the best possible job for you.

I'm sorry you're experiencing symptoms after you procedure. It sounds like your symptoms are related to your positioning during the procedure, and that you were passively moved by the surgical team because you were out under some form of general anesthesia or IV sedation and unable to move for yourself. Discuss this with your liposuction surgeon and with your primary care doctor so that you can receive the diagnostic evaluation and care that you need.

San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

14855 Blanco Rd
San Antonio, TX 78216

Numbness after liposuction

While numbness is typically an issue after liposuction surgery, that is numbness on the treated areas, not on areas that were not treated like your arms and legs. It sounds like you are having muscle spasms or spinal/disc compression symptoms. You should talk with your surgeons about your symptoms and concerns. If this does not work out on its own, you may need to see a Physical Therapist or undergo an evaluation first by your primary care doctor to assess the cause of your symptoms. If this is not getting better, you should have it investigated.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

1304 Bellona Avenue
Lutherville, MD 21093