Will Hand Sclerotherapy Affect my Hand Function?

Sclerotherapy will not affect hand function.

+1

The treatment of hand veins is certainly only a cosmetic issue although I have had a massage therapist whose abnormal  veins on her thumb interfered with her work.  I have over the last 15 years treated many hand veins with excellent cosmetic results and no functional loss.  I use sclerotherapy for the smaller veins and laser ablation for the larger cord like veins. Both forms of treatment work very well, are well tolerated and have high patient satisfaction.

Naples General Surgeon

Hand sclerotherapy is still not done by most sclerotherapy docs.

+1

We don't know the long term effects of hand sclerotherapy.  I've been doing sclerotherapy for over 25 yrs and i (like most docs) still won't do it in the hands yet.  Those veins are just too important to be messing around with.

Web reference: http://www.TheBestLipoDoc.com/drdavidhansen/landing/

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy for hand veins

+1

I am not aware of hand function being limited by sclerotherapy of hand veins. Certainly, some patient with medical conditions such as diabetes and circulatory problems such as Raynaud's, Scleroderma, Dermatomyositis and Lupus would not be good candidates.  Some physicians, such as myself, would prefer making the veins less obvious with the use of fillers than obliterating structures that could be useful for medical reasons such as intravenous infusions for emergency or medical treatment.

Complications from hand sclerotherapy

+1

This is an unusual procedure generally limited to other parts of the body.  Also, hand veins tend to be bigger and sclerotherapy works better in smaller veins with slower blood flow going through them so the irritant has time to cause inflammation in the vein lining and then it scars down.  If the injection misses the vein it can cause tissue loss, open wounds, scarring and thus possibly funtional problems.  I would doubt that if you spoke to a hand surgeon, they would bless this idea.

Hand sclerotherapy (vein injection)

+1

This is not a common procedure and from the limited information available, it does not appear to impair hand function. However, the development of a complication such as ulceration with infection has the potential for an adverse reaction and compromise of hand function.