I'm a Hairdresser when Can I Go Back to Work After a TT?

i'm a hairdresser..that is not hard work...how long should i be out Im having a tummy tuck with lipo...my job is a hair stylist..I stand..and cut hair my arms move do most of the work...walking around the chair some...but I can also stand in one spot and rotate the chair

When to resume work after tummy tuck

+1

Hi, the usual recommendation for resuming light work after a tummy tuck is about 2 weeks but this can vary from patient to patient and only your surgeon will be able to give you the best recommendation based on the actual surgery and the way you are recovering. keep in mind that in most cases there are drains involved and those need to come out before most surgeons recommend resuming work.

full activity can take 6 weeks or longer depending on your healing, so please check with your surgeon before resuming work.

Web reference: http://www.hallakplasticsurgery.com/tummy-tuck-san-diego/

Going Back to Work After a TT

+1

Each patient is different, and the recommendations needs to be based on the specifics of the case. Typically, very light activities can resume in 2 weeks which will be slowly increased until week 6.

Going back to work after a tummy tuck

+1

Every patient responds slightly different to surgery, so there will be a bit of variance to this question based upon you and how you happen to handle the experience. Most patients, however, use narcotic pain medication for 3-4 days after an abdominoplasty. I prefer my patients to remain slightly bent at the waist for about 7 days after surgery. Both of these issues would probably keep you from being able to work a normal day at work. I tell my patients to take 2 weeks off of work, but I have quite a few that go back to work a bit earlier if they are at a desk job. I would guess that you could return for a 1/2 day at 10 days with the understanding that you will be slow and still a bit sore. It will be 6 weeks before you feel normal. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

How soon can I go back to work after a tummy tuck?

+1

Interestingly enough, I have done tummy tucks (abdominoplasties) on several women who worked in beauty shops.  All of the things being equal (they don't smoke, no medical problems), the primary determinant of how many days it takes to recover seems to be age.  The younger you are, the quicker you recover. 

In my practice, all tummy tucks are done with correction of the separated abdominal muscles (rectus diastasis), and almost all of them have liposuction of the hips (muffin tops).  I find that women under 25 are able to start cutting hair in 5-7 days, but during the 8-hour day, they must elevate their feet at least a few times for 20 minutes or more.  Most of my patients under 30 return to standing jobs such as hair cutting within 10 days.  And by the time you are 55, it will take about 1 month before you are able to perform such physical tasks comfortably.  

Since I am quite a bit older than 25, I hate the fact that age is a factor but AGE IS AN IMPORTANT FACTOR with reference to time of recovery.   

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Return to Work after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you in regards to returning to work and other activities. Much of his/her recommendations will be based on how you do and whether or not you experience any complications. I have found that often times patients underestimate the amount of recovery necessary after the tummy tuck operation; it is a relatively major operation and does require significant recovery time.

Generally speaking, I advise my patients to expect at least 4 to 6 weeks of recovery time prior to returning to your occupation (assuming there are no complications  experienced).

I also remind my patients that especially after bigger procedure such as tummy tuck or mommy makeover surgery there is  significant physical as well as  EMOTIONAL  “ups and downs” that can be expected.   These are the words of advice I offer my patients:  

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm