Hair Transplant Question: Will FUE hair transplant on a black scalp create visible scars? (photo)

I am considering getting a hair transplant, but I like to keep my hair short. In addition, if the growth of the new hair is not adequate, as a back up plan, I wish to shave my head. Will an FUE transplant create visible scars on the back of my head (donor area)? Also, is it possible to avoid scarring the back of my head by using donor hairs entirely from the body?

FUE and scars

+2
Any time an incision is made on the human body, a scar will result. FUE does create scars, and they are usually small and round and hidden within the hair. 

Changes in pigmentation can occur with FUE. The changes can be lighter or darker skin. This can occur regardless of where the hair is taken (back of scalp vs body hair). 

Toronto Dermatologist

FUE Scars

+1
Hi jakemartin,

If you do prefer to keep your hair short, FUE hair transplants are a great option for you.

It is possible to avoid scarring on the back of your head by using donor hairs from other parts of your body. You will need to seek a qualified FUE transplant doctor for a physical consultation to confirm that this will apply to your unique situation. 

Dr. Broadway

David Broadway, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

FUE on black patients

+1
FUE is an excellent option for black patients. It leaves almost no visible scars on the donor site and you can wear very short hair. This is not the case with strip method. You can always see a horizontal scar line and with black patients, hypertrophic scars or keloids can also form.

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

FUE is still the best option for African American

+1
I have been doing exclusively FUE hair transplants using Neograft and ARTAS robot for several years. We have performed the procedure on a number of African American patients and I have never encountered keloidal or even visible scar. However, there is of course a chance for developing bad scar. It beats however strip scar any time! Check out our before and after photos and also watch an interview with myself about FUE hair transplantation! As for the body hair we do that as well but it is always a secondary choice in cases when you run out of donor sites on the scalp

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

FUE for darker skin

+1

One of the many great things about the FUE procedure is the imperceptible harvest site.  The size of the punch used for extraction of follicles in Neograft is just slightly larger than the diameter of the hair follicle itself (.9-1mm) and only a small percentage of the hair is extracted from an area so the removal of those follicles is actually not noticed by the human eye.  Removing only a certain percentage is key, so it is important to have a consultation and determine in advance if you are a good candidate for the procedure. If there is insufficient donor hair to achieve the results you desire it is crucial that you know this before undergoing a procedure. Though harvesting from the body is possible, I wouldn't rely on body hair to make up the majority of transplanted hair. 

Grant Stevens, MD