Gynecomastia Post Surgery Question. Can Massaging Ruin My Results?

I recently had gynecomastia surgery and i misread the doctors post-op instructions. I was in pain so I rubbed underneath the nipple on the hard areas and it ended up giving me some relief. I did not know this was not permitted for quite some time after the surgery. I am almost 2 weeks post-op and have been gently massaging my chest under the nipple for about 5 days for maybe 4mins a day. Can this ruin the work he has done? Will this affect the final outcome? Hardness is less is this good or bad?

Hello

Messaging the area is not recommended for the first few weeks. If you have been messaging and you don’t have discomfort or any complication up to know, you should be ok. Check in with your PS to assure yourself that you have not harmed your results. Without a picture or a physical examination it’s hard to be more accurate.

Massage After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi,

Thanks for the post.  If your chest doesn't look like it has worsened as a result of the massage then you should likely be okay.  I typically do not have patients massage unless it is for a specific purpose (i.e. dissipation of scar tissue). At this point I recommend following up with your plastic surgeon for further recommendations.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Massaging

Every doc has there own post op protocols.  I keep patients wrapped for a few weeks which would make massaging difficult.  However, some docs think massaging helps edema subside.  I'd stick with the instructions you were provided.

Tim Neavin, MD

Massage after surgery

You should ask your surgeon about this, since they'll probably want to see you in person. In the meantime, please follow your surgeon's post-surgery care instructions.

Gentle Massage Can Help Decrease Swelling after Gynecomastia Liposuction

Lymphatic Drainage Massage is a well known treatment which has definitely show to improve swelling and relieve discomfort following liposuction.

My rule of thumb for postoperative massage following liposuction is to wait for 2 weeks following surgery to begin any manual manipulation of the chest region.   This will give the tissues time to begin mending together, the first part of the healing process.   

Massage performed too soon after surgery can cause bleeding into the tissues, and ruin an otherwise excellent result.

When open resection of breast tissue is performed, I recommend waiting at least 3 weeks postop before massage of any kind.  Massage performed sooner than this has the potential to cause bleeding and also prevent proper wound healing, possibly leading to wound separation, infection or a seroma (fluid collection).  

If you have not noticed a sudden increase in swelling on either side of your chest and the wound appears to healing well, you will probably be OK.

Massaging too soon after gynecomastia surgery

I am sorry that you didn't read the doctor's instructions correctly. I do not think that the amount of massaging you have done will undermine the result but it is important to share this information with your plastic surgeon and follow his instructions going forward. If you are two weeks postop, you should be seen in followup around now and can discuss this with your doctor.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Gynecomastia Post op

Follow your surgeon's post operative instructions for your best result.  Based on the information given, you should make an appointment for a follow up with your surgeon.  He will tell you when to start the massages.  Every patient heals at a different rate.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Gynecomastia and massage

You should follow your doctor's instructions, and any questions specifically about the care should be directed to him.