Is It Normal For Wounds To Still Be Leaking 6 Weeks Post Op? (photo)

I had breast reduction 6 weeks ago! But unfortunately I've developed some bad wounds! They leak daily & I still have to cover them with dressings! I showed it to my Surgeon last week as I was worried about infection, but he said its not a problem & should heal up! The discharge is not smelly and I'm feeling perfectly fine! I don't have fever & my breasts aren't so painful! I only have slight pain & irritation at the wound sites! I still am really concerned :-( and I appreciate your help! Thanks

Breast Reduction Wounds

+1

Wounds at the junction of the incision for this type of breast reduction can occur.  Good wound care will with time heal these wounds.  Make sure you have close follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Dr. ES

Wound Separation and Discharge after Breast Reduction?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

The superficial separation and associated drainage is not uncommon after breast reduction surgery.  If it does occur it tends to occur  at the junction of the vertical and horizontal incision lines. These areas generally go on to heal without sequelae. I would suggest you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Congratulations on having undergone the procedure; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Normal

+1

Breast reduction surgery removes a lot of breast tissue and a significant amount of breast and fat tissue.  The breast could have a little fat necrosis,  seroma fluid, open wounds     All are fairly normal and will heal.  Follow up with your doctor.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Breast reduction issues

+1

Just from the photos, it looks like you developed some minor incision healing issues. If it is very superficial like the photo suggests, it often heals pretty well with time.  If it is a deeper issue than it may need debridment.  Follow closely with your surgeon.

Breast Reduction - Wounds Leaking

+1

This degree of drainage is within what I would generally consider acceptable after a procedure such as this as long as it is generally getting  better.  Obviously, the goal of this (and any other) procedure is a perfect recovery and result, but there is a lot of tension in the spots that are open and it is, therefore, not unheard of for the wounds to open and for some fluid to drain out, just as you describe.  I would agree that they should, in fact, continue to heal on their own and that you will have a nice result.  Your overall result, btw, and with the understanding this it is viewed from only one vantage point (called the "worm's eye view") looks very nice, so congrats on that!

You should, of course, remain in contact with your own surgeon - and I'm assuming that it is actually getting better.  If that is not the case, then you and he or she need to consider that there is retained suture material or something else causing the persistent drainage

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS