Going Home Right After Tummy Tuck, Liposuction, Breast Augmentation?

My doctor is board certified. I'm getting nervous about having a Tummy Tuck with Liposuction and Breast augmentation at the same time, to be done in his office. Is it safe to go home the same day?

With a seasoned surgeon and not too much liposuction, you should be fine to go home.

+2

About 1-3 times a week I perform the same combination, breast lift, augmentation, liposuction, and tummy tuck and almost all of these patients do great and go home the same day. The only limitations would be how long the surgery takes and the amount of liposuction, and the medical condition of the patient. The total surgical time should be less then 5-6 hours, the liposuction limited and the experience of the surgeon extensive. Make sure that the surgical facility is certified, and there is a history of multiple similar cases in the past.

Multiple surgeries

+2

In our practice, every patient who receives a tummy tuck goes to Aftercare. This is not only for comfort (although the pain pumps now have greatly reduced the need for narcotics), but for monitoring of blood oxygen, vital signs and safety.

It is advisable to consider Aftercare or a night's stay in the hospital whenever multiple procedures or large procedures are performed, or if any health issues are present.

You can talk about the risks with your surgeon in your individual case.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Going home after major surgery

+1

We have a comfortable overnight suite that is staffed by an RN. I insist that patients who have undergone an abdominoplasty spend the night (with some exceptions). The nurse addresses their needs but also insists on patient movement and administers intermittent compression hose to decrease the risk for pulmonary embolus.

The decision to admit or release is a judgment call. I am not critical of your surgeon, just expressing an alternative point of view. Staying overnight with us costs money, but most patients have no problem with this given the level of care.

Multiple procedures

+1

This may be okay, but it may also not be. You have not said what your doctor's board certification is exactly. You wrote that it would be done in the office; is it a certified surgery center? If you are worried, you may have real cause for concern. I would get a second opinion. You should see a board-certified plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with experience in these techniques.

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon

My patients have medical observation following Tummy Tucks

+1

Observation by a medical professional following surgery provides peace of mind for my patients and their families. It also makes me feel more comfortable.

If there is something you feel uncomfortable with, you should listen to the little voice inside.

Many plastic surgeons have different approaches to after care. I tend to be more conservative with follow up.

In any case, you will need a close friend or family member available to help.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

You will need help

+1

Your safety should be first and foremost concern. In patients that I perform multiple site surgery I offer them the ability to stay over night at a care facility. If you go home you need to stay well hydrated, move your legs or walk rquently and take plenty of deep breaths. Your surgeon will review all of these safety factors with you before surgery.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS