Tummy Tuck 6 Months After Giving Birth?

Is it safe to have a tummy tuck 6 months after giving birth through C-section?

Tummy Tuck 6 Months After Giving Birth

+1

Each patient and case is different. Some factors to consider is breast feeding (if the patient is breast feeding then surgery should wait), patient's weight (has it returned to the long term stable weight), patient's overall health, the patient's lifestage (is the patient considering having more children in the near future), and the patient's family and friend support.

Tummy Tuck Six Months

+1

Do you plan to have more children? If yes then I would wait. If no then I would certainly consider tummy tuck surgery for you at six months if I felt I could meet your expectations and perform the surgery safely and there are no contraindications. If you are ready, come in for a consultation with board certified plastic surgeon.

Timing for tummy tuck

+1

6 months is adequate time after giving birth.  However, you should make sure that you have met the followings: 1) Stable weight for at least 3 months, 2) Not breast feeding, 3) Good health, 4) Good social support to help you and your baby post-operatively.

Timing of Tummy Tuck after giving birth depends on your situation

+1

While 6 months is technically adequate time for your body, it is not the only factor if you want to have the best result. Ideally, before having a tummy tuck, you will have lost your pregnancy weight and be at a stable weight. You shouldn't be breast feeding. If you plan on having more children, it would make sense to wait until after you are done having children. Find a highly trained, board-certified plastic surgeon and let him evaluate you and advise you on the timing of this procedure.

Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Yes with some other criteria

+1

Yes - 6mo is the appropriate amount of time. But that assumes that you are not breast feeding and have also lost all the weight gained during pregnancy and feel that you have recovered from pregnancy. Also, you should be done with having children before undergoing a tummy tuck. Search out a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your options as well as your specific medical history including pregnancy and previous c-section.

Yes, however keep this in mind

+1

Although there is no specific time when a tummy tuck should be done following pregnancy, 6 months is considered an appropriate amount of time to wait.

I feel the appropriate time to have a tummy tuck following pregnancy is if you are not planning additional pregnancies, and when you have lost your prepregnancy weight.

There are a few plastic surgeons (they are definitely in the minority) who will perform a tummy tuck at the same surgical setting as the delivery. The potential problem with this is the patient has not lost her pregnancy weight and when she does so, may experience less than optimal results.

Waiting at least 3-6 months following pregnancy is appropriate.

Good luck.

Munster Plastic Surgeon

Yes - but

+1

I will do it 3 - 6 months after giving birth, unless you are breast feeding. Age also counts as I like to wait until you are done having kids. If you have a tummy tuck and have more children, you will ruin the beautiful result and you might need to do it again.

No defined time for tummy tuck after delivery

+1

This is highly controversial and this is why you will get many different answers.

There are some surgeons, a small minority, who perform these at the time of the c-section. The vast majority of plastic surgeons prefer to wait until you have achieved a stable weight, however long that takes..

Yes

+1

Six months is fine as far as the scar goes.  What you do have to consider is if you've lost the pregnancy weight.  If you haven't completely than I would suggest waiting until your weight levels off.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Should Not Be A Problem BUT...

+1

There should be no specific medical problems with having a tummy tuck 6 months after c-section BUT you may wish to wait longer. There are many changes that occur after surgery and certainly after childbirth that are not fullly complete until at least 12 months after the surgery.

Although I have done tummy tucks even at the same time as a C-section, I would advise patients to wait a year before having the tummy tuck done. I think the results are ultimately better in the long run.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon