Do I Run the Risk of Eyebrow Drooping if I Have Botox Injected in Glabella?

Im getting married next month and decided do botox in glabella. Ive read that is safer because there is minimal risk of eyebrow drop or any other complications. Does injection of botox in glabella can cause any major complications, Im concern as Im getting married and want look my best.

I have used Botox for over 20 years but because your wedding is in 1 month, IMHO I'd forget about the Botox until after the wedding.  Even though the risk is very low that anything (like medial brow position change) would happen...why risk it.  It's such an important event in your life, don't take any chances.

We usually have a 2 month rule on services ahead of weddings.

However, the BOTOX service can be safely performed.  The key is finding a very experienced injector.  This is not the time to save some money and go to someone who does not know what they are doing.

Botox before a wedding

If this is your very first botox treatment and it's only a month away from the wedding, you are taking somewhat of a chance. Not that anything serious will occur medically, but you have not had a personal experience with a particular physician who has given you Botox so you don't know how the physician will do, nor how you will respond. Look at the worst case scenario. If you had a very unusual side effect from the Botox or the physician was not as experienced as they should be in the delivery of Botox, you might develop unequal eyebrow levels and depending on the placement of the injections, even a brow drop or eyelid drop which could be impossible to fix for the wedding photographs. That said, it is very rare to cause a droop when only the glabella is treated but is it worth the chance that you get a temporary disfigurement right before your wedding, one that will go away on its own but could take months?

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Risk Of Eyelid Droop After Glabellar Botox

While eyelid droop after the injection of Botox into the glabella is a possibility, it is fairly rare in that area. That risk is greater when injections are done across the top of the eyebrows. If you go to an experienced injector and limit the Botox injections to the glabellar area, you should be just fine for your wedding day. 

Botox placement vs risk of complications.

If you can think of it, that complication may occur.  However,  experienced injectors can minize the risks.  Allow adequate time for resolution of any bruising or other effects before the big event.  Think hair cut and hair color fiasco's as well.

H. Michael Roark, MD

Risk Of Eyebrow Droop and Botox

Dear Korki,  First congratulations on your big day!  I understand your concern to make it as perfect as it can be and thus your worries about Botox.  Botox is a very safe drug and most patients love their results.  Most complications of Botox have nothing to do with the front end of the needle but instead come from the back end; that is the side the injector is on.  A skilled and qualified injector can determine if Botox is the correct solution to address your concerns.  Treatment of the glabella region requires identifying the exact position of the muscles causing the undesired wrinkles and then determining the correct dose for paralyzing those muscles to obtain the desired result.  Mal-placement of the Botox can cause a mid-eyebrow droop and also rarely cause eyelid droop but these are very rare complications.  

Please do your homework and research.  Look for a very skilled and qualified Botox injector.  Also, I think two weeks before your wedding should be enough time to allow you to have your Botox treatment and be all set for the big moment.  Again, congratulations and I wish the both of you a long and happy life together!

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Droopiness

Generally injection of botox in glabela does not cause droopiness in the eyebrow, but in rare cases patients HAVE REPORTED drroopiness. The risk is low to zero however. So, I would go ahead and have your botox done.

Syed Amiry, DO
Virginia Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox prior to major events or weddings

Botox in the glabella only will relax the frown muscles, but, as a previous poster mentioned, these will do nothing for the forehead or crow's feet.  I would have this procedure done at least one month prior to the big day, in the event that you need a touch-up.  For complete and effective treatment, treatment usually extends across the upper medial eyebrows as well as the glabella.

With that said, consider what you are asking for.  Botox prevents you from moving muscles of facial expression; in your photographs, you want to look refreshed and young, but certainly not expressionless so don't go overboard. You want to look your best, but I highly doubt that frowning, the very motion you are trying to eliminate, will be a part of your wedding day.  Have Botox done with caution and by an experienced professional, or wait until after your wedding day.

Congratulations!

Dornechia George Carter, MD
Dallas Dermatologist

Droopy eyebrow after botox

My patients frequently are concerned with looking their best with an upcoming big event. Unfortunately,  injecting the glabella only will not effectively relax frown lines because the corrugator muscle extends out above the middle third of the eye brow.. However, this is an area that Botox could travel into the eyelid and cause a droop.. Droopy eyebrow is less likely if an experienced physician injects the botox deeply into the proper muscle layer with minimal volume and dilution above the eyebrow to allow for a little migration. The patient must also do their part not to rub the area and with no lying down for 4 hours after injection. Botox is a great way to look your best on your wedding day, best wishes.

Edmund Fisher, MD
Bakersfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid, not eyebrow droop with glabellar Botox

The risk of eyebrow droop after injecting Botox is when it is put in the forehead for treating transverse lines on the forehead. In that instance, the muscles that elevate the brows becomes temporarily paralyzed so that the muscles that lower the brows are essentially unopposed which can allow the brows to drop.  Putting Botox in the glabellar area runs the risk of an eyelid drooping if it were to get into the area where the levator muscle of the eyelid is. To prevent this, Botox should be placed about one cm above the bone of the brow, the area should not be rubbed and strenuous activity should be avoided for at least two hours. If you choose to have Botox 1 month before your wedding, tell the injector to be conservative to avoid any problems.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon