Can Estheticians Inject Botox? - Missouri

I am in Missouri. I was wondering if I become a licensed esthetician will I be qualified or can I become qualified to inject botox?

Qualifications for performing procedures and practicing medicine vary from state to state

+1

The person who you choose to treat your skin should be able to handle any possible complication of that treatment.  Injecting is easy, knowing where and how to inject, which patients not to inject (based on comorbid conditions), and how to reconstitute botulinum toxin at a specific concentration along with proper sterile technique are where someone who went to school for 8 years after college may have a knowledge and judgement advantage over another person performing a similar procedure.

Las Vegas Dermatologic Surgeon

Aestheticians performing botox

+1

The practice of medicine is regulated state-to-state. In New York, one must be a licensed provider to administer an injection, not an aesthetician, even if under supervision.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Can Estheticians Inject Botox in Missouri?

+1

Hi Casper.  According to Dr. Lund below, they can.  We find this surprising but trust that it's true.  To be good at injecting Botox takes training and a keen understanding of facial anatomy.  While most consumers think that Botox is Botox no matter where they go, we get 3-5 calls every day from patients that are looking to switch to a new injector because they are unhappy with their current one.  And this is in California where estheticians are NOT allowed to inject Botox.

Regardless of whom you are being injected by, we recommend getting a referral.  The best way to know the skill of an injector is to know a few of that person's patients.  Regardless, we're happy to say that the use of Botox in California is limited to those privileged enough to have a medical license.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Who can inject your Botox?

+1

While any person can technically stab you with a syringe and inject you with any medicine, the more important question is who do you trust to inject you with the right medicine, at the right dose, in the right location, and who understands anatomy, beauty, aging and can deal with any potential side effects. We're talking about your face and appearance, as well as your health, so make sure to see you doctor, ideally a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who have extensive training in Botox.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Who can inject Botox?

+1

In New York state aestheticians are not allowed to inject Botox. Check with your state board. Part of doing a procedure is being able to manage the potential complications. I would be concerned that despite the regulations that an aesthetician does not have the background training to manage Botox-- which is a medication.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Can Estheticians Inject Botox?

+1

You should call the medical board in your state but as far as I know only MD's, PA's and RN's can inject Botox and the latter need to operate under a physician's direction and licence.

Can Estheticians Inject Botox?

+1

Missouri is one of the few states that have very lax laws regards who can inject BOTOX. But why use an esthetician and not a MD? Is my concern. In Florida no way they can inject legally!

Can an esthetician inject Botox?

+1

Depends on the State regulations for the Board by which you are governed. In most states, estheticians are not allowed to inject Botox or Dysport as this constitutes the practice of medicine. If you want to be sure, check with your state board.

In Florida, estheticians not inject Botox. That doesnt mean that they dont, only that it is illegal.

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Aetheticians should not inject Botox

+1

Regardless of the fact that Botox Cosmetic says "Cosmetic,"  it is a medication that requires knowledge, training, experience and a medical education to use properly. A thorough knowledge of anatomy, of patient's medical status and how it relates to Botox injections, medications and multiple other factors are required for a successful outcome.  Aestheticians just don't have that kind of knowledge or training.  Even if there are states that allow aestheticians to inject Botox, it doesn't mean that they should. 

If you are having a cosmetic procedure done, please consult a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with proper training and experience in that cosmetic procedure. 

There are many published reports of cosmetic procedures done by non-physicians that have had disasterous outcomes.  Going to an aesthetician to have injections may result in another such statistic.  Please don't.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Who Should Be Injecting Botox?

+1

Dear Caspermomma,  In Missouri, the state laws do allow estheticians to inject Botox and other injectables.  I know this because I also live in Missouri.  Because it is a prescribed medication, you would not be allowed to perform injections without supervision from a physician or a dentist but the definition of "supervision" is very loose and lax in Missouri.  Also, the pharmaceutical companies that sell Botox and similar products have relaxed their requirements of who they will sell to and who they will allow to actually inject their products.  This is why we have so many problems with products such as Botox and fillers in our state.

My personal belief is that only physicians, P.A.s, and R.N.s who have taken the injector training courses should be allowed to perform injections.  While injecting looks simple and easy, it is not and  to get the best results requires an understanding of the anatomy and the pharmacology of the agents being used.  This is not something that can simply be learned in a few hours at a weekend course.  Also, you have to remember, that with the privilege to perform injections comes the liability of doing so.   Lastly, even though you are not a physician, any healthcare worker should remember the primary rule-first, do no harm.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon