Would Insurance Cover a Tummy Tuck After Gastric Bypass?

I Had Gastic Bypass Surgery in Nov 2010 Have Saggy Breast and Inner Tights and Need a Tummy Tuck Will my Insurance Cover It

Removal of excess skin after gastric bypass

+1

The short answer is sometimes insurance will cover removal of excess abdominal skin. Less frequently they will cover breast surgery (depending on how much tissue needs to be removed) and I have never seen insurance coverage for inner thighs. Whether your insurance will cover these procedures depends on your policy. The best way to find out is to prior authorize it with your insurance company. Your board certified plastic surgeon should be able to do this for you. Good luck.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Usually not.

+1

What you want is considered cosmetic in nature and thus not covered by insurance. The most insurance covers is the removal of an apron of skin that hangs down over your pubic region. The cosmetic improvement needs to be self paid.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy tuck coverage after gastric bypass

+1
Insurers have tightened their rules, now that gastric bypass surgery is an everyday occurrence. Unless your abdominal skin apron, or panniculus, has ulcerations or breakdowns which do not respond to dermatologic or antibiotic treatment, the major insurance carriers now deny coverage for this as cosmetic although, ironically, some government sponsored plans will pay for it. Breast and thigh lifts are not covered by insurance and are performed on a fee forcservice basis.

Robert L. Kraft, MD