I Am 5'7" and Weigh 235 Pounds, Am I Eligible for Gastric Bypass?

For many years I have struggled with my weight and nothing seems to work: Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Medifast. You name it, and I've tried it. I also previously had a gastric balloon inserted and only lost 10 pounds. I am considering going more drastic and having gastric bypass. Question is, am I eligible to have gastric bypass done being 5'7" and 235 pounds?

Oh yes...

+2
In patients with bmi like yours (37)  we ca do a bariatric surgery to you, but in your case i prefer other like sleeve gastrectomy or gastric plication, because have less nutritional issues than gastric bypass, and are less aggressive weight loss surgery.

Anythinq that i can help, just let me know.

Dominican Republic Bariatric Surgeon

Criteria for Gastric Bypass Surgery

+1

The criteria for weight loss surgery specifically gastric bypass surgery is a BMI of 40 with no medical problems or a BMI of 35 with one medical problem like diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension.  The FDA recently approved the Lap-Band surgery for BMI of 30 with one medical problem as well.  Your BMI is 37 based on your height and weight.

Shawn Garber, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Long Island Bariatric Surgeon