Will full tummy tuck "fix" my stomach? Getting rid of the loose skin and stretch marks. (Photo)

I am 23 and have two sons. I want to feel confident in my own skin and would love to be able to wear a 2 piece bathing suit once again. I have stretch marks and some loose skin by the bellybutton. I am 5'6" and weigh 125 pounds. Since I am fairly thin, will the healing process be easier than that of an individual that is overweight? When would I be able to get in a pool? I don't plan on more kids, but unplanned pregnancies are common, would a pregnancy down the road ruin the tummy tuck?

Will a full tummy tuck "fix" my stomach?

+2
From your photos, I believe a full tummy tuck would significantly improve your stomach contour.  The tummy tuck will remove the excess/loose skin and the stretched abdominal muscles can be tightened at the same time.  Although, the stretch marks above your belly button can't be removed, they will be shifted to a position below the belly button.  You should be able to get back in a pool in 2 to 3 weeks following the surgery, but I would avoid exercising for 4 weeks.

Although I wouldn't advise it, I have known several patients who have had a pregnancy following a tummy tuck.  Most of these patients still looked better after the pregnancy than they did prior to their tummy tuck.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive tummy tuck experience. Best wishes. 

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck to fix your stomach

+2
It is difficult to see on the photos, but it looks like you do have some excess skin above your belly button and some separation of your abdominal muscles.  Both of these issues would be helped by a tummy tuck (or abdominoplasty).  It would be best to make sure your family is complete before surgery.  Always make sure to schedule an appt with a board certified plastic surgeon.  

My best to you!

Elisa A. Burgess, MD

A Tummy Tuck Would Probably Be Beneficial

+1
Judging by your photos, you would probably benefit from a full tummy tuck. It would remove the excess skin and fat, as well as tighten any weakened muscles you may have from pregnancy.

It is true that being "fairly thin" can help improve your rate of recovery as well as reduce any surgical risks, it is more important that you are generally healthy. 

You will have to avoid swimming pools or whirlpools for at least 1 month to allow your incisions to heal properly.

Pregnancy after your tummy tuck will negatively affect results.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Tummy tuck

+1
You would need a full tummy tuck and a muscle tightening procedure. Your muscle have clearly been stretched out causing a bdominal bulging.  I think you would get a nice result, but there will be a long scar involved.  The scar can be designed to be covered in a bathing suit with the exception of a scar around you belly button.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

+1
Thank you for your question and photos.  Yes a full tummy tuck will improve your belly.  However, you have to be aware of two things.  First of all, the resulting scar is totally unpredictable.  Especially in bellies such as yours which end up very tight after surgery, the stretching can result in a widened, possibly hypertrophic or keloid scar, more especially in view of your type of skin which seems to be dark.  Of course, I myself am here to tell you that I have had patients with dark skin who have healed with invisible scars, but it is just something you have to be aware of.  Secondly, if your main goal is to be able to wear a two-piece you have to make sure that your surgeon can give you a beautiful belly button that will not give away your secret.  There are special techniques for creating a natural belly button that we learn with experience, because the belly button is the tell-tale sign of a tummy tuck.  Best of luck.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Will full tummy tuck "fix" my stomach? Getting rid of the loose skin and stretch marks.

+1
You are a very good candidate for the tummy Tuck procedure and it will give you the young looking abdomen you want. It will remove all of the stretch marks below the navel and pull the higher ones down to the pubis. The muscle repair will flatten the contour. You can have a normal pregnancy after a TT, but may need some revision later.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Bikini after tummy tuck

+1
Congratulations, your photographs are excellent! A tummy tuck would eliminate laxity, flatten the contour and remove some of the stretch marks. Since some stretch marks extend above the belly button and since a low scar is preferable for bikini-wearing, a compromise will have to be made with regard to excising all the stretch marks.
However the few remaining stretch marks will be positioned just above the final scar and should be covered by a bikini bottom. It may even be possible to remove these too - a year later - when things have loosened up. The effect of pregnancy on a previous tummy tuck is highly variable, but it is probable that any small deterioration in aesthetic appearance may be fixed by the Board Certified Plastic Surgeon I assume you would consult.

J. Brian Boyd, MD

+1
    I think that a tummy tuck will tighten your abdominal wall and remove loose skin for a very pleasing result.  The scar can be short as you have only central skin laxity.  Pregnancy may undo some of the tummy tuck result in the future. 

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and body contouring procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

TT

+1
Thank you for the questions.

The tummy tuck procedure sometimes eliminates all of them or just part of them, this depends on where they're located.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

+1
You ask a very good question.  Would pregnancy down the road ruin a tummy tuck?  No one can predict what will happen to your body after a pregnancy, but in general, the answer is yes.  Most likely, you would need some type of revision if you were to get pregnant after having a tummy tuck.  If you are sure that you do not want any more children, consider having your GYN do a tubal ligation at the time of the tummy tuck.  There surgeries can be done at the same setting. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for an exam, and to discuss your options.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD