FTM Transgender - What are the Effects of Hormones on Breasts?

Firstly, I'm a trans male (FTM) and unfortunately I have a D cup. Top surgery is too expensive right now, but I plan on starting hormones soon. I'm looking for a few facts on the affects of hormones (T) on breasts if any. Do they cause any shrinkage at all or any other kind of side effects to breasts?

Testosterone effects on breast tissue

I have seen many patients on testosterone who experience shrinkage of their breast size, almost as if a beach ball has lost some of its air. There is a lot of patient variability to the response to testosterone. At the same time there are other secondary effects of testosterone which will develop, so you should have an endocrinologist managing the use of this medicine.

Hormones for FtM SRS

Male hormones will suppress estrogen.  This will lead to some decrease in breast volume but not to a decrease in breast skin.  You can expect your breasts to droop as the volume decreases.  To get from a D cup to a male chest contour you will need a formal surgical procedure at some point.

Testosterone may cause acne and hair development on your chest.  If you develope hair it will likely be permanent, even if you stop the hormones.

Top Surgery

I appreciate your question.
The 2 major methods are double incision mastectomy with nipple grafting and keyhole.
It depends on the size of your breasts as to which method would be best for you and the ability to maintain nipple sensation
The decrease in estrogen will shrink your breasts but ultimately you may still need surgery 

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Hormones and Surgery

Hello. Although hormones do reduce the glandular component of the female breast and increase the presence of chest and body hair, reduction may not be as much as you desire. Mastectomy with the double breast crease incision and nipple graft would be the best option. I suggest consulting various physicians that are EXPERIENCED in this type of surgery to see who is within your budget, but will provide an excellent result. 

Jaime Caloca, Jr., MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Effects of Hormones on Breasts

You may notice a slight decrease in your breast size after commencing hormone therapy.  Based on your description of having a D cup, however, it is unlikely that your breasts will shrink considerably.  You will likely require surgery to address the breast tissue, excess skin, and nipple position.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can help you to understand what your options are.  

Josef Hadeed, MD

Hormone Therapy Effects on Breasts

Hi BeingMe,

Thanks for the post. While hormone therapy may reduce the breast tissue to varying degrees, it will not address the skin excess. Given that you are a D cup, you will likely have too much skin even if you experience significant decrease in the amount of tissue from the hormones. Based on this, you will likely need top surgery (most likely double incision top surgery) to truly achieve the contour you desire.  Financially speaking, many practices offer financing plans to help patients.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

T and Double Incision Mastectomy

Top surgery is really the most definitive way to address your D cup breasts.  There are ways to finance the operation.  Hormone therapy may have some effect on your breasts, and if it is part of your plan otherwise, it will benefit you to start before surgery.  I would not expect the type of resolution that you are looking for without surgery however.

Breasts and testosterone in FTM transformations

I agree with Dr. Greenwald, your D cup breasts will need surgery eventually to tailor the excess skin.  Hormone therapy is not going to provide adequate skin reduction by itself.