I Am 3 Weeks Post Op Froma Tummy Tuck with Lipo on my Hips. When Will I Be Able to See Real Results?

My pants pre-surgery are snug and hurt a little bit after I button them, mainly where it rubs against my scar. My weight is the exact same as it was before surgery. I don't want to get discouraged because my stomach is flat and I am happy with the results so far. I am just anxious to wear real jeans and not stretchy pants.

Recovery after tummy tuck

+3

Hi Luvmybabes

At 3 weeks after abdominoplasty, it sounds like you are doing fine. Many patients do not lose great amounts of weight during an abdominoplasty procedure, even though their shape can change drastically.

During the first few week after an operation, the body uses extra fluid in the area to splint the healing tissues (much like a swollen ankle after you twist it). Until your Plastic Surgeon allows you to return to exercise (or you get some post op lymphatic massage), that extra fluid will be difficult to shift. Compression garments across the total operation area will help a bit.

At the 3 week mark, I would also begin discussing medium term scar management with my patients - scar massage and silicone sheeting. Starting these will help reduce the discomfort of your jeans on your scar.

Be careful with your diet, especially you calorie and salt intake until you can restart exercise. Then use your recent procedure as a motivational stepping stone to help create a fabulous new shape.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Results After Tummy Tuck

+3

Dear Luvmybabes,

Bruising and swelling are expected side effects after tummy tuck and liposuction. You should see some immediate improvement, but final results take three to six months to achieve. Patience is key, as well as maintainence of a proper diet and exercise.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

When Will I Be Able to See Real Results?

+3

Many patients are larger that pre-op at a week, and it may take about a month to get back to preop size and weight. From there on (on average) steady improvement over 3 to 6 months. 

Patience. 

All the best. 

Post Op Results from Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

At just three weeks post tummy tuck and liposuction it is not unusual that you weigh the same as you did before your surgery.  Although your surgeon removed skin and fat, initially the weight of these tissues are replaced by retained fluid (swelling) which can take from three to six months to resolve.  Wearing a compression garment and watching your salt and fluid intake can help speed the the process.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon