I suffer from migraines, if i have one on the day of surgery is it safe to go under?

Migraine and surgery

+1

Hello, Firstly, commiserations on suffering from migraine - it is a nasty illness. Regarding safety with an operation, you need to be guided by your surgical and anaesthetic team, and it will probably depend on the severity of your attacks and the nature of your surgery. If you suffer from severe neurological symptoms then you might be advised to defer. For some sufferers, nausea and vomiting are a significant issue and as a surgeon I would worry about that post op, in case it increased your risk of bleeding. You probably need to optimise your preventative medication and then be guided by your surgical team

Best wishes

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Migraines and surgery

+1

Consider having Botox injections a few weeks prior to the surgical procedure.  You may have profound relief.  The migraine issue is then temporarily relieved.  Surgery can  proceed without further concern.

H. Michael Roark, MD

Usually it is safe to proceed

+1

It depends on the type and severity of migraines, but usually it is safe to proceed.   The final decision will need to be made by your surgeon and anesthesiologist.

Best regards,

Dr. Lane Smith

Lane Smith, MD

Migraines are not a contraindication to surgery.

+1

Many patients with a history of migraine headaches have elective cosmetic surgery. If you show up in the operating room within active migraine the anesthesiologist will have to make a decision about whether to proceed.

Migraine Headaches and Proceeding with Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

As you can imagine, I cannot provide you with direct medical advice;  generally speaking, a migraine headache should not prevent patients from proceeding.  If anything, this decision will give them much needed relief…

+1

By in large, this should not be a problem, but the call will be made by the anesthesia provider. So long as your symptoms are limited to headache, and don't include visual disturbances, chances are your surgery will proceed as scheduled. 

All the best.