Tummy Tuck Results. Loose Skin on Left Side? (photo)

My tummy tuck was December 2012. While I understand that has not been long enough to see full results I am very concerned about the appearance of loose skin on my left side. I have attached pics for your review. In addition to the skin being loose there, the left side of my tummy is much larger than the right. I am not a large person. (5'4" - 105 pounds) I asked my surgeon about this and he said the skin was pulled as tightly as it could be. My right side is close to perfect. No concerns there.

+2

Appears you have a real issue. Guess your chosen surgeon does not wish to address these with you. Seek in person second opinions. 

Loose skin after Tummy Tuck

+2

Thanks for your question.

It would interesting to see your preoperative photos and also to know whether you had lost a lot of weight prior to your surgery, also the position of your breast fold in relation to your chest wall is important. 

The other question I would be interested in is whether the skin looks tighter and better when you are lying down, I would suspect that it does .At tummy tuck  surgery the skin is pulled down as tightly as we can, but sometimes the looseness you demonstrate is actually from above, that is your chest skin slides down into your upper abdomen when you stand up. If  your tummy skin is tight when you are lying down, then your problem will not get better by cutting out more skin from below, infact no more skin can be cut out. What may help your situation is a reverse abdominoplasty or removal of skin from above.

At this stage there is nothing that needs doing and it is quite early in the healing phase. Its possible down the track a minor touch up will help you get the result you are after.

Cheers

Richard

Richard Bloom, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Excess skin after tummy tuck

+2

It is diff into assess with the photos but it does appear you have very decreased skin elasticity. About 5 percent of people do not a small surgical revision after abdominoplasty. Also you may have. Small fluid collection or seroma causing the lump which should be drained. 

Joshua B. Hyman, MD

Loose Skin on One Side after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+2

Your concerns are understandable but at this point I would suggest continued patience. Given the poor skin elasticity of your abdominal wall, I would suggest that you allow yourself at least one year before evaluating the end results of the procedure performed. At that point, if you still have concerns about “redundant” skin on one side, then additional skin can usually be removed to improve symmetry.

Of course, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to precise advice/treatment recommendations.

Loose skin four months after abdominoplasty will probably not improve.

+1

While it is difficult to comment on the asymmetry, I doubt very much that there will be any improvement in the loose skin over time. The photograph demonstrates skin with apparently poor elasticity possibly do to major weight loss or aging. The only solution to excess skin in any area of the body is surgical removal.

Loose Skin On One Side After Tummy Tuck

+1

Many times the differences between the two sides in a tummy tuck are reflective of differences that existed before surgery...but were not appreciated because of all the loose skin. As your surgeon stated, the skin was pulled as tight as it could be. You need to wait a full six months after the surgery and consider a revision if it is still bothersome. To make it better, it may require the incision on that side to be extended somewhat.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Tummy Tuck Results. Loose Skin on Left Side

+1

Unfortunately, none of these photos are sufficiently helpful. The standard view would be one showing the entire abdomen, in the upright position. No matter now tight your skin is standing, when you sit there will be redundancy after a TT. The skin has lost its elasticity or you would not have needed a TT. 

A TT will not usually remove excess flank skin unless the procedure was carried partly or all the way around the back, and I can't tell from the question or the photos if this was done. 

Helpful in an attempt to give you a useful response would be preop photos as well as the postop picture showing the whole abdomen. Best wishes.