Is the Free Breast Implants Website a Bad Idea?

I have been saving up for a breast augmentation for almost two years now, and I still don't quite have enough. I have been considering using the "free breast implants" website to help fund the remaining cost of my breast implant surgery but I can't help feeling a little weird about it. This is probably kind of dumb, but I'm just wondering if any surgeons who do breast augmentation have ever operated on anyone who got their breast implant surgery paid for through the free breast implants website. If so, did the women still feel good about having the surgery and like the results and everything? Thanks...

Is the My Free Breast Implants Website a good idea?

+13

Hi there-

I am very familiar with the website you refer to. Here's the way it works...

A woman interested in breast augmentation surgery signs up and posts some photos and a plea for financial assistance with the costs of surgery. She stipulates the kinds of contacts she is willing to entertain and what she is "willing to do" in exchange for financial assistance from the male "members" of the site. In most cases, requests are made by male members for photos of the prospective patient wearing certain types of clothing (or no clothing), but in some cases, requests are made for in-person interviews (ahem)...

At best, this is bordering on pornography (giving strange men photos of yourself in revealing clothing for financial gain), and at worst prostitution (imagine a situation where a woman is financially indebted to a man who insists on meeting her to get his "money's worth"...

Consider also the fact that things posted to the internet are "out there" forever, never to be taken back... How would you like for those revealing photos you posted of yourself in order to get some guy in Albuquerque to help you pay for your implants to pop up 20 years from now?

I think this is exploitation of women at its very worst. You should save your money and protect your privacy and dignity.

Free breast implants website - Pecunia non olet

+6

In 74 AD, the Roman Emperor Vespasian (9-79 AD) came up with a VERY original new tax to raise money - he taxed public urinals. The outcry was immediate and long-lasting and name "Vesapasian" is STILL applied to street urinals across Europe. ( Obama - Reid - Pelosi take notes...)

More lasting and biting was Vespasian's practical response: "Pecunia non olet" ("Money does not smell").

But, is that true? Does the way we earn a living make a difference? Is money obtained through honest endeavors "smell the same" as money obtained through quasi-moral or even criminal behavior? Furthermore, is there such a thing as a "free lunch"?

If you did not feel "a little weird about it" would you have bothered posting here?

My practical advice to you is that if you have to scrape and save just to pay for cosmetic surgery procedure, do not do it. Obviously, you do not like being at the mercy of the quirks of strange men on the Internet. What will you do if there are complications and further medical or surgical care is needed? Who would pay for those?

Dr. P. Aldea

"Free breast implants"

+5

I have no personal experience with the free breast implant sites but it is my understanding that a woman will post photos of herself and basically ask men to donate to their surgical costs.

I have no idea what will be asked of a woman if she has surgery this way but there are a number of other ways you can pay for surgery other than to have to ask for help from strangers. I often ask patients to check with their credit union first, where you may get the best rates, and then you can consider a number of the cosmetic surgery financing sites but you need to be very careful about interest rates, terms of the loans, etc.

Chances are if you are feeling a little weird about financing this way, it is probably not right for you, but you alone will be the only one who can make that decision.

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Free breast implant website

+4

My advice: don't do it. I think the fact that you feel "a little bit weird" about this website, and wonder if you will feel good about the surgery afterwards, are both clear indications you should not finance your implants this way. I am not too familiar with the website, but if you have to post naked pictures of yourself to get some stranger to pay for your implants, I do not think this is a good idea. Do not make a hasty decision that you will regret and cannot take back.

I understand it is important to you to get your breast implants, and it sounds like you are dedicated to saving up for the surgery. Please keep in mind complications can occur, and if you barely saved up enough for the implants, you will be in trouble if any complications do occur.

In your situation, I do have a few suggestions. The first is to find a board certified plastic surgeon that offers financing. One example of financing that many plastic surgeons offer is CareCredit. You can look at the site online, apply, and see what you qualify for. This way you don't have to wait for surgery, and can instead find a payment plan you can afford. The second thing -- consider finding a surgeon who participates with Cosmetassure, which is cosmetic surgery insurance. This helps cover costs if you did happen to have a complication, and has it's own rules, etc. Lastly, in addition to being a good candidate physically and emotionally, you really need to be in a place where it makes sense financially. You do not want to shop by price alone. You want to carefully choose the surgeon that can get you the best result in a safe manner.

Good luck!

Anita Patel, MD

There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!

+3

I personally have not heard of this website. I would caution you about what sort of relationship you may be entering. Please be careful.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Are free implants really free?

+3

I never heard of this site until very recently when  a woman came infor a consult and told me she was paying for the implants this way. My staff and I went on this site and were a bit suprised, to say the least. You are definitely not getting the impants for "free". You are establishing a relationship of sorts with "gentlemen" who are unknown to you and providing them with photos of yourself. What those photos are is between the two of you.

My advice is don't do it. I read though my colleagues responses on this and we are pretty much unified in this recommendation.

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Nothing is free

+3

This free breast implants website doesn't appear to be a sound idea. At some point you'll be asked to pay for those implants and it may not be a circumstance you'd like to be in. If you can't afford the procedure yet, then I think you should keep saving up.

Best Wishes,

DoctorMeade

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

A choice only some women will make

+3

I have done a few operations for women from the site to which you refer. They were fine but wanted larger than average implant sizes.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Free breast implant sites.

+3

Yes, I have had the opportunity to operate on women who have had the proceudure "funded": through this source. The paitients run the spectrum of personalities and methods to achieve a comfort level with the process. For example, one was very outgoing and very forthcoming. She even did a "promo" for another website which she landed through this channel. She was single and used many social networking sites to bring visitors to her web page. Another patient was the "clean cut: type with a boyfriend who condoned the process and actually helped her compose answers and scenarios to enhance her response rate. Although they reported some unusual requests, neither regretted the decision and never, to my knowledge, had any problems with the entire process.

No Free Lunch

+2

We have refused to work with women who go through the site as the level of indebedness will create more stress in the postoperative care than is fair for the patient or practice.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS