Gummy Bear Breast Implants vs Saline or Silicone?

What are gummy bear breast implants? Are they better than silicone breast implants or saline implants?

Cohesive gel implants

+4

"Gummy bear" implants refer to the new generation of cohesive gel silicone implants. The silicone in the implant is highly cross-linked making it into a thick gel - like jello or gummy bears.

The advantage of this type of implant is that if the shell ruptures, the contents won't leak out. The old silicone implants had a liquid silicone inside so if they ruptured, the silicone would leak out and cause a sticky mess, leading to local problems.

Mentor currently has 3 levels of cohesive gel implants on the market with varying levels of "jelliness." I find these implants have a more natural appearance, feel and movement when compared to the saline implants or old silicone implants.

They are more expensive than saline implants, but I recommend them to most of patients.

Ontario Plastic Surgeon

The term "gummy bear" implant can refer to one of two...

+4

The term "gummy bear" implant can refer to one of two types of implants, depending on who you're talking to.

The new generation cohesive silicone gel implants, which are very commonly used now in the US, are sometimes referred to as the "gummy bear" implant because the new cohesive gel is different than the old silicone gel implants -- as the name implies, it is a more cohesive substance, and therefore is less likely to leak if the implant shell fails.

The "gummy bear implant" is also used to describe a "highly cohesive gel implant", which can be used primarily for breast reconstruction, as these patients have no remaining breast tissue to camouflage the implant.

In general, I prefer the standard cohesive gel silicone implants for most breast augmentations as I think they give a very natural look and feel, in particular if the patient is very thin or if we choose to place the implant above the muscle (these decisions vary based on the individual patient).

Patients can also obtain very nice results with saline implants as well, but it really comes down to sitting down with your doc and having a nice discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of each option.

Web reference: http://www.drsalemy.com/

Gummy bear implants

+2

Gummy bear implants are the latest generation of cohesive gel implants. These implants have a higher gel density making them more firm than the standard silicone implants. The gel inside both types of silicone implants is thick and cannot leak into the body, however gummy bear implants are thicker than standard silicone implants.

Although there is a possible safety advantage, this can also be a disadvantage to patients because the breasts tend to look and feel less natural due to the implants holding their shape better. The implant will fall less naturally in the pocket of the breast, similar to issues found with tear drop implants. These implants are still unavailable for widespread use and are still under strict testing guidelines, but are expected to become more prominent in the market after receiving FDA approval.

Gummy bear breast implants

+2

Gummy bear breast implants are filled with silicone that is more cohesive than the currently FDA approved silicone breast implants. Silicone can be any consistency from similar to water to a solid. The consistency is varied by changing how many cross-links are between the silicone molecules. The gummy bear implants have 3% more cross-linking. The FDA approved silicone gel implants have a silicone consistency similiar to honey, it also very tacky like taffy. This type of silicone flows in the implant; that is, if the implant is placed in a different position, the silicone will flow to the most dependent area of the implant, pulled by gravity. The top of the implant will lose volume and "collapse"; there is rippling.

The gummy bear silicone implants are called "form stable" because the silicone does not flow, the shape of the implant remains the same despite changing its position; gravity has no effect on the silicone. Because of this, the top of the implant does not "collapse" and there is very little, if any, rippling. It also has much lower leak rates compared to silicone gel implants according to the data accumulated so far.

There are other differences -- the gels are round, the gummy bear is anatomic shape, etc. The implants are available through plastic surgeons that are participating in the FDA approved study. If you have additional questions about this type of implant, please feel free to call my office. You can find other plastic surgeons who are participating in the study by contacting Allergan. Mentor also has a form stable silicone implant. Hope this helps.

Gummy Bear Implants vs Round Implants - which is better

+1
Gummy Bear is the general public's term for Shaped Implants.  All implant companies provide shaped implants, which all have a textured coating and a more rigid silicone gel inside.

For the vast majority of women, standard round gel implants give the best overall look, cost less without the worry of rotation.

Think of Shaped implants mainly for reconstructive surgery.

Dr. Costanzo, Thousand Oaks, CA. Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Gummy Bear implants are filled with a cohesive gel and are in a tear drop shape

+1

Form shaped anatomic implants are now available in the usa. I have used these implants for over a decade while in practice for a time outside of the usa. They are now, I hear, the most popular implant in the world outside of the usa. It took time for their benefits to be appreciated by the plastic surgery community.

Some people are attracted to them because a hole in the shell does not lead to a "flow" of silicone out of the implant.

To me there are many other important cosmetic reasons for selecting an oval form shaped implant in many cosmetic cases.

Web reference: http://plasticsurgeongainesville.com/?page_id=622

Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Gummy Bear Breast Implants

+1

Gummy bear implants are silicone implants that are made of a thicker silicone gel. Instead of flowing likes standard implants the gel is more like a soft solid Gummy bear consistency. These implants are currently part of several clinical studies at this point and will not be available to the general public until they are FDA approved. 

"Gummy Bear" implants

+1

Gummy Bear is a term for the cohesive gel impalnts developed by Allergan (410 ) and Mentor (CPG). The gel is more cohesive in that it is firmer and retains shape more. They are currently available only under investigational study but hopes are that they will be released for genral use soon. When that will be is still undetermined.

Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Gummy Bear Implants - What are They?

+1

Gummy bear implants are highly cohesive silicone gel implants. The gummy bear label is applied to silicone gel implants which have a cohesive or "sticky" silicone gel inside them. This type of silicone keeps its shape longer and if the outer shell ruptures, the gel stays put.

These are typically in "anatomic" implants meaning the implant is shaped like a tear-drop. Although this is a great implant for some people, it is not for everyone. Currently, these implants are not widely available in the US as they have not been cleared by the FDA. There are surgeons who are participating in clinical studies for which you can enroll to be eligible to receive these implants.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

The truth about gummy bear implants

+1

The term "gummy bear implants" was effectively coined by the popular media and refer to the feel of the new highly cohesive gel breast implants. Interestingly, these implants have gained significant popularity even though they haven't actually reached FDA approval yet and to date have only been used in clinical trials within the United States.

These implants are simply highly cohesive silicone gel breast implants which were developed by MENTOR as the CPG and ALLERGAN as the 410. And while the press has been talking up the use of these implants, in reality whether or not they will replace the less cohesive gel implants is up for discussion. Think of this way, the least cohesive implants are a liquid. As you increase cohesiveness, the implants are said to become "form stable" which means that they more effectively hold their shape when their is either a break in the surrounding shell or when there is no shell at all. And because the end point of cohesiveness is a solid, you really need to balance out the importance of greater stability with a soft feel.

I was able to participate in a brief preceptorship in Sweden this past year where I actually observed these implants being used. My personal feeling is that they will be a very nice addition to the implant choices we currently have available but that they will most likely not completely replace the less cohesive options.

I hope that helps!

Web reference: http://www.beautybybuford.com/services/breast/augmentation-denver-colorado/

Denver Plastic Surgeon