Would Fraxel Treatments Smoothen Keratosis Pilaris Present on my Upper Arms?

I have keratosis pilaris on my upper arms since i can remember and didnt know it was what i know what now it is, and i hope some treatment can atleast reduce the appearence and diminuish my scars and the chicken skin appearence. The only way i can reduce this ,is by sun bathing but i don't live in such place where there is plenty of sun and beach everyday. Would Fraxel help this?

Fraxel may not help keratosis pilaris

+1

There is a chance that the Fraxel could even inflame the keratosis pilaris. If your doctor is willing, it might be a good idea to first do a small area not more than an inch wide to see the result before treating an entire upper arm and wait several weeks to judge its result before having a treatment.

Treating keratosis pilaris

+1

Keratosis pilaris (KP) results from a buildup of cells at the hair follicles. The skin can get inflamed, making it red and even itchy.  Fraxel is not the best treatment for this.  It would be best to start with a cream containing glycolic or lactic acid every day or every other day, and also use a "regular" body lotion once or twice daily to keep the skin hydrated. If redness and itching is a concern, your doctor may prescribe a cream with cortisone, which will help to calm the inflammation.  Even when the bumps have improved, it may take some time for the redness to fade and it may never completely fade.  Your KP is also likely to come back, so you should continue to use body lotion and use the other treatments as needed.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon