Fraxel Repair Vs. Fraxel Restore

Hi there, I'm interested in Fraxel Repair and consultation is expensive. The receptionist tells me that the Fraxel Repair and Fraxel Restore are the same. Is this correct? Please advise.

Fraxel re:store and Fraxel re:pair are Very Different Treatments

+1

Hi Kippy,

Fraxel re:pair and re:store are as different as night and day. I am afraid that the "receptionist" is mis-informed, it sounds like the office may offer only one of the Fraxel treatments and wants you in the office.

Re:store is non-ablative and involves a series of treatments to treat discoloration, mild to moderate wrinkles, and scarring. Re:pair is ablative, treats deeper lines, wrinkles, discoloration, scarring, and skin laxity. A single re:pair treatment yields more impressive results than a series of re:store treatments. The downtimes and recovery are quite different as well.

I use both treatments depending individual patient needs. At your consultation I will listen to your concerns, examine your skin, show you before and after pictures, and show you what to expect during the recovery from either of the procedures.

We offer complimentary consultations so that should take care of the "expensive" part of your question.

Be well.

Dr. P

Encino, California

Fraxel re:store and re:pair are different

+1

The Fraxel re:pair is a fractional CO2 laser and the re:store is a fractional erbium laser. The re:pair requires usually only one treatment (except for acne scars), whereas the re:store is usually a series of 4-6 treatments.

The re:pair will tighten the skin, the re:store will minimally tighten, even after 6 treatments. Wrinkle control is also far superior with the re:pair over the restore. The reason that the re:pair causes more wrinkle control and tightening is because it actually removes tissue, whereas the re:store thermally heats the tissue.

Also, CO2 lasers cause more thermal injury to the surrounding tissue, which leads to more collagen and better wrinkle control. The cost of 4 or more treatments with the Fraxel re:store is more than the cost of 1 Fraxel re:pair treatment. The Fraxel re:pair was introduced at the American Academy of Dermatology on January 31, 2008. The Fraxel re:store received FDA clearance July, 2004.

Steven F. Weiner, MD