What's the Difference Between Profractional Laser and Fraxel?

Hello my name is Wayne. I just had Dermabrasion done 5 months ago and the down time was really really bad it took 3 and a half mo. to get some of the redness out. And it is still a little red!! Well anyway, after the Dermabrasion, I noticed that the right side of my cheek was not as full as it once was. To make that even worse, I'm sure my surgeon made a small crater even bigger!! This was for my acne scarring.

To make that even more worse, I have a scar across the left side of my upper cheekbone. He said that they were broken capillaries. I’ve seen him yesterday and he tells me: yeah that’s a scar and doesn't even bother to give me free treatment for what he has done. And I have noticed that the right side of my cheek, with the acne scars, you can tell more now that I have craters, meaning it looks much worst then before.

The only good thing that came out of this is he admitted that he was very disappointed with the results. So now I’m wondering if I should do Pixel treatment or Fraxel. Just so you know I have had Fraxel done 4 times!! And it showed improvement but is the pixel better!! Please help me
Wayne...

Supremacy of the Sciton Joule ProFractional Laser

+4

The latest ProFractional Module on the Sciton Joule Laser

- uses Erbium which heats water 8-12 TIMES more specifically than CO2 in Fraxel. That means No lateral heating and persistent redness

- The fractionated columns the ProFractional laser puts in can be placed to ANY depth the doctor wants to. Unlike others, you are not limited to only a few setting. That means ANY condition can be readily treated.

- the fractionated columns can be placed without or with 2 separate settings of coagulation. This means that a fraction of a second after the pattern of columns is lased heat is applied exactly to the walls of these columns providing more tissue shrinkage

- The amount of column overlap, unlike Fraxel,. can be varied to as much as 22% with the latest Joule ProFractional model.

The Sciton ProFractional Laser is THE most versatile fractionated treatment on today's market. No one matches it.

Profractional vs. Fraxel

+3

Dermabrasion is generally considered a harsh treatment for the skin and generally utilizes older technology.  I agree with Dr. Allen that you should be careful after dermabrasion and should wait at least 6 months prior to having another treatment.

However, to answer your question regarding the difference of profractional vs. fraxel.

Both Profractional Laser and Fraxel can improve acne scars.

Profractional Laser is a deeper laser (although not as aggressive as erbium laser resurfacing) and you will have some downtime for approximately 2-3 days while you heal. Profractional laser provides significant improvement after one treatment. However, it may need to be repeated to address deeper acne scars.

Fraxel Laser usually derives its benefits over the course of 5 to 6 treatments spaced one month apart. It is a more superficial laser than Profractional, and generally creates redness similar to a bad sunburn after each treatment. This redness subsides over 1 week, but does not require downtime.

Like most modalities, the treatment's success is dependent on the expertise of the user and the ability to use the correct modality or to combine to have the correct mix of modalities for a given problem.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Laser resurfacing

+1

Afetr dermabrasion your skin may not heal as quickly as before so be careful what you do next. Wait until 6 months after your dermabrasion then seek a derm with the Sciton Profractional as this will likey give best results with safest profile for you ... Good luck

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist